+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: avondale dual mono S100 ENDEAVOUR power amp kit

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Where "non" Linn/Naim is concerned, there's plenty of knowledge here too... I found the constant rucks elsewhere about stuff I wrote off decades ago more than a bit boring, hence my boring you guys here too much - ahem...
    Your earlier post was far from boring, and very informative, and anyway, I did ask, didn't I?

Thanks everyone else, and I look forward to Marco's instalment in the fullness of time...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

theres some thred cross polonation going on ere!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    My training as a generalist adviser tells me to be un-biased and impartial VERY difficult where subjective opinion and personal experiences clash on audio forums

In the mid seventies, Ivor demonstrated to me that, in fact, an LP12/Grace 707/Supex 900E sounded *better* than a Technics SL120/G707/Supex 900E using Naim amps and I forget the speakers (don't think it was 'Briks then). The fact that we didn't have dedicated supports back then and the SL120 is a VERY feedback prone device in standard form didn't help. The 707/Supex combo did sound very good on an Lp12 of the period, the fruity bass well in control. It was the arrival of the Ittok and CB Naims in 1980 that really put the cat amongst the pidgeons as I recall
    Here's a theory:
    Despite my thinking that a lot of what he has said was a load of old loblocks, we should give him a little slack.

In the UK we're not really used to manufacturers being good salesmen. It's a fatal failing for UK industry & has been for decades. When someone comes along who makes something, but also happens to speak like a salesman, we are rather taken aback.

If a salesman says those very same things to us, we know the rules of the game & so we realise it's part of the blether & we take it for the patter that it is.

When a manufacturer, a beast that we're conditioned to regard as a quiet retiring sort of fellah, starts behaving like that, we're kind of more aggressive in our response and are somehow offended that we could be fed such crap.

Yes?
    No?
    Maybe?

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    theres some thred cross polonation going on ere!
    There certainly bloody is, even I thought I'd replied on the other one! Sorry Hamish - it's obviously a very emotive subject - but please can this thread be left for Hamish's Avondale discussions - the other thread is here: What's the problem with Linn & Naim where I rather foolishly asked the question!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm David.

I don't mind, I have all the answers I needed from here/pfm regarding this subject. and have said my slightly ott bit I did have somthing else to say but I can't remember what it was and who it was a reply too ... And I'm not fussed enough to go through both threads again.. I'm fairly certain it wasn't to important..
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

My addition to this thread is that I used to have a Naim CDX/XPS, 52/Supercap, 250 and SBL's. I loved it, but then I heard an Avondaled amp.
    I sold most of the stereo and now have an Avondaled Naim 102pre, TPX2 power supply, CD3 CDP, and a 250 and 160 amp - Avondaled, as is all of it. I even have some RMS Rev1 speakers, made by Avondale - who else ! Only my vinyl isn't Avondale..
    As I see it, I have, or had, a wodge of cash and a better sounding stereo, by a long way. My 52/Supercap were just serviced, and I tried out half a dozen different CD players in my attempt to find what I wanted.
    I post on PFM under the same name, and used to be a part of the Naim forum, until the policing got to me..
    My feeling are that you do need to live with a stereo to find out if it is right for you, and Avondale do allow home trials, so well worth a listen. My limited experience in buying stereo shows me that a decent time to evaluate is not likely in a demo room, but a home trial is worth every penny.
    Should you be passing by the south of Spain, pop in and have a listen some time !

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Thanks for the offer

Mr Wazoo sir, I agree with your post above. Audio manufacturers' proprietors actively plugging their products is a strange thing indeed and a VERY fine line to walk, as Ashley (AVI) has found, his ideas regarding the "future" of audio coupled with his persistancy causing all sorts of battles. The fact remains though, that his speakers are actually very good for a small monitor (not for lovers of huge Tannoys etc)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234