+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does size matter?

I'm Craig.

Default Does size matter?

And no, we're not talking about men's bits here!

My question is what audible difference would I expect to hear between for instance, my own Van Damme 6mm Blue, and it's skinnier cousins ?

I was just pondering on re positioning my speakers, but can't see 'er indoors accepting a pair of snakes on the floor for all to see.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm Grant.

Never seen the need for big thick speaker cable tbh. I have found cables do sound different on every system so it can be a bit of pot luck sometimes. One of my favorites was a fairly reasonably priced second hand set of Kelvin cables. still got them
    Last edited by struth; 28-03-2015 at 12:52.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I've got chunky speaker cables I can use, but at the moment I use some very skinny Transparent Audio stuff that looks like vacuum cleaner lead and it sounds superb.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Nodrog.

Nope, so long as the cross section is big enough to carry the signal. There are no doubt, other things involved but I don't think size is that important.

I'm Paul.

For the most part, it's not ultimate size that matters, it's total loop resistance. Above a certain gauge for your speakers/amp, you'll notice no difference by going up a gauge because it can't make an audible difference. Geometry might also come into play. Change the cable geometry, and you'll likely change the reactive characteristics of the cable hence the perceived sound.

I'm Alan.

Consider the "HI-FI" version of the Van Damme 6mm. It looks a lot better in the living room.
    Alternatively put your cable in some trunking along the bottom of the skirting board.
    Sony PS-6750 Turntable, Sony CDP-X555ES CD Player, Sansui TU-717 Tuner, Vortexbox Music Server, Caiman SEG DAC with LDA Linear PSU, Squeezebox Touch with LDA Linear PSU, Accuphase E-302 Integrated Amplifier, PMC GB1i Speakers, MG G2000HD & G1500HD Interconnects, Van Damme 6mm Hi-Fi Speaker Cables.

Bedroom system: Squeezebox Touch with LDA Linear PSU, Quad FM4 Tuner, DCB-1 Turbo with Acoustic Dimensions switched attenuator, Quad 306 Amplifier, Rega RS1 Speakers. TV & DVD, Caiman MKII DAC with Baldwin Audio Linear PSU. MG G1500HD Interconnects, Fisual S-Flex 4mm Speaker Cables.

Back Bedroom Work Bench: Denon TU-260L Mk2 Tuner, Denon PMA-355UK Amplifier, Mission 780SE Speakers.

I'm Richard.

Try to make the cables more attractive to SWMBO. Here's a nifty idea.
    ABD.

I'm Martin.

Genius!

You could also try cutting out pictures of her favourite soap stars from TV Quick* and pasting them to your speakers, increasing WAF exponentially.

* other TV guides are available
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Try to make the cables more attractive to SWMBO. Here's a nifty idea.
    I see you believe in cable lifters?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Grant.

thats all well and good but what happens when you want to wear them ....better with this

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast