+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hello from wiltshire

I'm Julian.

Default hello from wiltshire

Hi,
    Very pleased to join the forum. My hifi is in a bit of a "bits and pieces" state, but main system is

* Technics SL1000MK2, SME V, Ortofon MC25FL, Trichord Dino+, Sony CDP790,715E, Yamaha CDX710, Kenwood L1000C/M, Yamaha NS2000, NS1000M. Cables are Chord Odyssey 2, Ecosse Reference and Merlin.

I also a second system, but not hooked up together yet - still making some mods etc
    * Sony TTS8000, Origin Live Silver, Denon 304, Diesis DA300, Ruark Swordsman. I'm modding the Ruarks with Jantzen Silver caps and New Vifa / Scanspeak drivers. The Diesis is a rare amp that was apparently designed by Ruark engineers.

Best Wishes
    Julian

I'm Dave.

Hi Julian, welcome to AOS. What sort of music do you like?
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Geoff.

Hello Julian. Welcome to AOS.

Nice selection of gear you have.

If you're planning some mods or changes, tell us about them. We like to hear what people are doing and tell us about your music choices too.

I'm quite fond of the MC25FL too and the Swordsman speakers are an undiscovered goodie. Nobody has latched onto these yet and they're very good.

We have a Gallery section if you'd like to post some equipment photos.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Julian.

Thanks for the warm welcome -

* Music wise - anything apart from Brit Pop, Heavy Metal and Pure Classical. Particular faves are Pink Floyd, Elton John and The Carpenters. I have to be very careful though not to just listen to stuff that is well recorded and sounds good on my system. Currently discovering just how good Randy Crawford and some Geoff Love albums from the 70s were recorded....Sometimes the stuff I love, sounds crap through my system.

* Modding - well, back in around 1990/91 my cousin bought a separates system (Yamaha CDX710, Technics RS-B655 Cassette, Diesis Amp & Ruark Swordsman). It sounded amazing and blew what I had at the time (some Kenwood items) into the dust. I found the CD Player, Amp and Ruark Swordsman Plus for pennies on Ebay so took a punt. The Ruark speakers do sound good, but I found their components to be really cheap, so am in the process of installing New Scanspeak tweeters, upgraded Vifa woofers, have swapped the caps in the crossover for Jantzen Silver Z Caps, and the internal cable for Chord Odyssey. When finished, I'll post some pics. I don't think it will be a "pristine" job on the crossovers, but hopefully they will sound good. Its my first soldering DIY job, and very much a punt in terms of how the sound will turn out. I like bags of detail and plenty of sparkle, so opted for silver caps. The Ortofon MC25FL is a very nice sounding cartridge, am planning to upgrade it to a Kontrapunkt B at some point - you can find those NOS sometimes. Cheers.

I'm Julian.

Quote Originally Posted by fletchdirect View Post
    Hi,
    Very pleased to join the forum. My hifi is in a bit of a "bits and pieces" state, but main system is

* Technics SL1000MK2, SME V, Ortofon MC25FL, Trichord Dino+, Sony CDP790,715E, Yamaha CDX710, Kenwood L1000C/M, Yamaha NS2000, NS1000M. Cables are Chord Odyssey 2, Ecosse Reference and Merlin.

I also a second system, but not hooked up together yet - still making some mods etc
    * Sony TTS8000, Origin Live Silver, Denon 304, Diesis DA300, Ruark Swordsman. I'm modding the Ruarks with Jantzen Silver caps and New Vifa / Scanspeak drivers. The Diesis is a rare amp that was apparently designed by Ruark engineers.

Best Wishes
    Julian
    BTW - I know the Technics deserves a better cartridge (Kontrapunkt possibly) and phono stage (may go DIY or Whest) - so when funds allow etc.

I'm gone.

Interesting system you have there, Julian. Welcome to AOS.

I'd love to see some pics of the kit (and your listening room) in the Gallery section here if you can manage that!

I'm Andrei.

Hi Julian

Technics owners are always particularly welcome here.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Geoffrey.

Hello and welcome Julian.

Geoff.

+ Reply to Thread