+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some of my gear

I'm Gordon.

Nice set-up mate! Although I do have speakers I'm like you and mainly use headphones. I'm down to just the two pairs now (from 14). How are you liking the HD 650's? They should pair up pretty well with your LD.

Gordon.
    Mac mini > Jriver 19 > ODAC > QED Silver Anniversary IC > Project Ember MkII > Linn Black > Marantz PM6004 > Mogami 3103 > Dali Zensor 1

Mac mini > JRiver 19 > QED Silver Anniverary IC > Project Ember MkII > Forza Audio Works Colour cable > Sennheiser HD 650

Sansa Clip+ (r/b) > Sennheiser PX 100-II (w/HD 414 pads)

I'm James.

Thanks. I'll probably get some speakers at some point. Need the space though. the HD650s do generally sound brilliant with the LDIII, though sometimes I feel they're a bit wooly and I'm missing something. Then I plug my DT880s in, or the B&O H6s in for a bit. That's the good thing about having the choice, I guess.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Solrighal View Post
    Nice set-up mate! Although I do have speakers I'm like you and mainly use headphones. I'm down to just the two pairs now (from 14). How are you liking the HD 650's? They should pair up pretty well with your LD.

Gordon.
    14!

The most I had was 2 (a pair of Koss ESP6 self-energised electrostatic phones; heavy and uncomfortable , and a set of cheap Sony headphones (~ £20) used with my PC.
    Barry

I'm Michael.

James, which version of DT-880 do you have ? I saw there are 600 ohm, 80 ohm and others number of ohm ..... Since you are quite expert in head phone, would you explain what is the difference between those version. Thank you

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by purwoadi View Post
    James, which version of DT-880 do you have ? I saw there are 600 ohm, 80 ohm and others number of ohm ..... Since you are quite expert in head phone, would you explain what is the difference between those version. Thank you
    Hi Purwoadi,

Not sure I count as an expert, but anyway.....

I have the 250 ohm premium ones. The premium is just the finish, I believe. The pros have a coiled cable. I couldn't tell you at first hand what the difference is between them in terms of sound. The 80 ohm pair will be easier to drive, from what I understand and I think you could use them satisfactorily from a portable device. The 600 ohm pair, I think would need to be driven by a good headphone amp to get the best out of them.

I have used the 250 ohm pair from my iPad, a portable amp ( the HRT microstreamer) and both steady state and valve headphone amps. I think they sound brilliant from all those and are really comfy, even with glasses on.

The link below is an article I read comparing the three different pairs from a reasonably well respected head phone journalist. There appear to be some differences in performance especially the 80 ohm pair, but as I said, I've no direct experience of comparing them.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...ohm-headphones

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

James

I'm Mike.

Great collection of phones'!
    I'm a phone-fan too and also use a Little Dot Mk III (with Mullard M8161 NOS tubes)
    Can you please describe the difference in audio between the Asgard and your LDMkIII?
    I am mostly using a Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear clone off of eBay, but the LD gets regular use too.
    My phones are Denon AH-D2000 and Philips Fidelio X2, like em both! (have had Senn's HD-650, Denon AH-D7000 etc)

Regards /Mike

I'm James.

Hi Mike,

It's boxed up at the moment as I was selling it (stopped using it as I was enjoying the LDiii). I'll try and unbox it, though it may be a few weeks as I've a busy couple if weeks then hols to look forward to.

I tried to buy AH D2000 of another forum, but they fell apart (literally) at the point we'd agreed on price. The connection between head band and ear piece snapped. A known problem I think. I also would have loved to get hold of a pair of 7000's just to compare them with my 7001's.

I'm generally not very observant when listening to music and off the top of my head would struggle to say anything other than I like both amps. Not very helpful to you. I guess I need to try and focus on a couple of songs through each amp and see what happens. If it looks like I've forgotten in a few weeks, please feel free to nudge me (like I say hectic time coming up).

Cheers

James.

I'm Mike.

Thats very kind if you James, though i have no intention of delaying your possible sale of the Asgard!
    If you have the opportunity....
    Thanks mate!

I'm James.

It's ok. It won't delay anything. I put it up for sale (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...c-HP100-Phones) but no one offered me anything sensible.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12