+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SL1210M5G and DL103R counterweight/Headshell problems

I'm Freddy.

Default SL1210M5G and DL103R counterweight/Headshell problems

I recently decided to change my gold Technics headshell for a Sumiko HS12 to house my DL103R. all said and done my headshell, cart, and spacer weigh in at 26.5g and I am unable to balance everything, even with the additional technics counterweight. I have heard of a few tricks and actually gaff taped a small socket to the end to finally get it to balance. Now I cant even put my dust cover on

Though the Sumiko seems to be a better headshell, its a bit fussy to setup with the finger lift and all. not to mention I cant use my technics overhang gauge. shortly after getting the Sumiko I caught word of the AT LH18, so I was thinking of selling the Sumiko and getting that one. Any tips and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Freddy

My Technics 1210M5G is stock except for a KAB Fluid Damper

I'm Grant.

I think one of these should fit but sure a techy guy will tell you for sure. Its a stub weight the goes in the back of the arm I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/25188...f14=108&ff19=0
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I think one of these should fit but sure a techy guy will tell you for sure. Its a stub weight the goes in the back of the arm I think.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/25188...f14=108&ff19=0
    +1, alternatively you could source an aftermarket heavier counter weight such as this

IMG_4105.jpg
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Freddy,

Just contact Speedy Steve here, on the forum, and he'll make you a bespoke counterweight, no problem! See here:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...+counterweight

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...roduct-Updates

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Freddy.

Thanks Marco, Do you recommend I get the ATLH18 headshell instead of using the Sumiko, or would it be a negligible difference? Also with the non-technics counterweight and heavy headshell/cart, do I need to buy some kind of device that measures tracking force?
    Last edited by germbox; 24-03-2015 at 18:23.

I'm Andrei.

+ 1 on Speedy Steve. I am very happy with his work for me.
    As regards headshells: My experience with headshells is usually that their difference is very small, ( exception with an Ebony headshell).
    I certainly recommend cartridge scales. Scales are cheap and you only have to buy them once. They are more accurate than the rotation system of counterweights. I consider that part and parcel of good setup. It is worth the trouble to isolate the table, make sure it is level, Keep fiddling with the VTA until it is accurate, use a spirit level for azimuth. Aficionados will have thier own preferred tracking weights but I just go for the middle of the manufacturer's recommended range.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

Hi Freddy,

Quote Originally Posted by germbox View Post
    Thanks Marco, Do you recommend I get the ATLH18 headshell instead of using the Sumiko, or would it be a negligible difference?
    Yes, in that respect my experience is contrary to Andrei's, especially with a 103 in the equation, which needs plenty of arm/headshell mass, in order to function optimally. Furthermore, due to the nature of its construction, the LH-18 deals with resonance much more effectively than the Sumiko, so yes, it's purchase is rather a no-brainer

Also with the non-technics counterweight and heavy headshell/cart, do I need to buy some kind of device that measures tracking force?
    Yup, a good digital stylus force gauge is mandatory. You can get loads of good ones on ebay for not too much money.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Freddy,
    Yes, in that respect my experience is contrary to Andrei's, especially with a 103 in the equation, which needs plenty of arm/headshell mass, in order to function optimally. Furthermore, due to the nature of its construction, the LH-18 deals with resonance much more effectively than the Sumiko, so yes, it's purchase is rather a no-brainer
    Marco.
    I suppose there are (at least) two variables, one being weight and the other being materials. My comments pertain to materials - I'm sure you are right about mass.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

Hey, Andrei, it's what ever your experience has told you - there are no rights or wrongs. In my experience, different headshells have made quite a difference to the performance of my arm and T/T, due to how they make the cartridge attached 'behave', for a number of valid reasons.

I've used the LH-18 that Freddy mentions, with a DL-103, and it's a combination I'd wholeheartedly recommend

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Freddy.

Thanks everybody for your input. I have contacted speedy Steve, and now I have to weigh my crude counterweight setup and give him the total weight. but since I want to swap the Sumiko for the ATLH18, I will unfortunately haft to wait even longer to play some LP's. Will it be necessary to have a spacer with the DL103r and ATLH18? I just want to make sure I order everything i need in one shot. I saw that some folks just add another mat to their turntable to help with the VTA, is one method better than the other?

Freddy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast