+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 177 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Analog Dinosaur' succumbs to the joys of FBA : enter Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+!!

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    piCorePlayer
    Rune

any other candidates and stories of discovery from AoS?
    I did wrestle with the SqueezePlug/Max2play distro, but didn't have a great deal of success with regard to WiFi connectivity, despite giving it a good go...it may well have been user error, however I had piCorePlayer up and running with WiFi very easily...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Battery or Linear PSU? Hmmm, I don't know! I can't decide, it's swings n roundabouts, there are subtle but identifiable differences especially at the top end but which is preferable or 'correct'.....?
    This interests me too. By 'top end' do you mean at high frequency or is it an allusion to the quality of the set up? I have one of Nick (Lurcher's) excellent Linear supplies, which I'd like to press into service but I'm having trouble locating a 2.5 female (?) to mini USB adapter. Anyone know if such a thing exists?
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Bernie.

Bought mine here but it's 5.5/2.1 plug. This was the most common configuration when I was searching.

By the way, I'm using the Longdog PSU I used for my Touch, which has a 5.5/2.1 plug.
    Last edited by Canetoad; 21-04-2015 at 03:21.
    Bernie.

I'm Nick.

Just FYI, the Touch plug is 2.5mm not 2.1mm
    Nick.

I'm Gordon.

Quick update for those that are interested. Pi-DAC+ boards are currently in manufacturing at the factory in Scotland. I should have them in the next few days at which point they will be tested. If no major screw ups (with the physical boards) then they will be made available on tindie.com shortly after.

Best regards,

Gordon@IQaudIO.com

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    When: A Tweet from IQ says very soon. On 4/4 3 weeks was stated by IQ so during this week maybe.

I see most people make their Raspberry discussion on this Marco thread. So how many have tried something other than Volumio as they player / sound generator source. I appreciate most folks think in terms of the hardware (cos its what they can see and relate to) BUT software is equally important, not just the appearance but how it sends the file to the DAC and instructs the DAC.

piCorePlayer
    Rune

any other candidates and stories of discovery from AoS?
    I use Madsonic (a fork of Subsonic) on my Pi and find it excellent. You could run it alongside MPD (Volumio etc) and it gives you the ability to transcode files in realtime for service across the network (and wider internet) - so you can have your music on your phone, or any web capable device, keep your files in their highest resolution format but stream them in lower res as your network allows. You can also access it with players such as VLC, which because it can play FLAC also allows me to listen in full res on a remote machine.

Well worth a try imo.

I'm Duncan.

Hi all

I think the reason the various power supplies I've built and tested on the Pi 2 didn't do much is,
    "The A, A+, and B models use linear power regulators while the B+ and the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B have switching regulators which reduce power consumption by between 0.5W and 1W."
    I therefore believe it's pointless messing around with external power supplies unless you do some onboard mods.
    I'm just enjoying as it is

Duncan

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashmore View Post
    This interests me too. By 'top end' do you mean at high frequency or is it an allusion to the quality of the set up?
    Hi Bernie, I notice the difference on percussion, IE: Hi Hats and also on Snare drum. The battery adds a slight 'glare' to the sound but at the same time seems to be a bit more 'airy'. Also with some synthesized percussion sound effects the effect apparently moves with respect to the 'speakers. I can't say which is right or wrong it's just different, my preference though is leaning toward the linear supply...IME there is some milage to be gained on the RPi2 by trying different supplies just as there was with the SB Touch.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Twisted.

Thanks - but who's Bernie?

Thanks Duncan, I don't doubt what you say in the slightest, but as I have a suitable PSU (barring a suitable adapater) I may as well put it to the test.

What's .4mm among friends? If it works does it matter? Or ought I really to track a 2.5mm one down?

Simon
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

I'm Bernie.

Hi Nick, thanks for that. The adaptor cable works fine with it still.
    Bernie.

+ Reply to Thread