+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 177 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Analog Dinosaur' succumbs to the joys of FBA : enter Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+!!

I'm rupert.

Re PSU. I am using a 5v USB power pack to run the Pi the DAC and the wifi dongle without any issues. keep it simple.

I'm Des.

How to assemble a decent Pi streamer setup using PiDac.....

1. You will need: Raspberry Pi2, IqAudio PiDac+, PSU (one of these and a 12v 1.5A toroidal transormer, case big enough for all of the above, fast 8gb SD card, some free software (SD Formatter, Windisk32 Imager and Volumio).

2. Format SD card using SD Formatter.

3. Write Volumio onto the card using Windisk32 Imager, this is the card fully prepared for use in the Pi.

4. Attach PiDac+ to the Pi2, no soldering required.

5. Connect transformer to psu board, plenty of internet instructions but on the transformer I bought it was a case of wiring the two central wires together and terminating with heatshrink or tape and then positive lead to AC+ on the board and negative to AC-

6. Use an phone charger cable to connect from psu board to Pi2 (cut the unused end and connect to DC out on the psu board), from memory this is a mini usb connector which ground is the outer part of the connctor.

7. Put SD card into Pi2.

8. Power up and allow to boot.

9. Connect to router either directly using Ethernet cable or if in a different room to router/modem use powerline 200mpbs ethernet plugs (about £20 a pair and provide connection to router using your mains wiring). To mu mind ths is much simpler and more robust a solution than messing with setting wifi up on a headless Pi.

10. Connect to Volumio - type volumio.local into a browser (phone, tablet, laptop)

11. Connect to your storage and update library, this will take some time as th Pi2 isn't the quckest PC but i only needs doing when you add more music. Storage can be a USB drive attached directly to the Pi, a pc whch has the correct folders set to "Share" or a NAS drive. This last point will need more explanatin and I'm not the best person for this.

I'm not a computer expert, or big diyer but managed all of the above quite easily with a little reading. Hope this helps, Belloire hopefully will be along to comment sometime....
    Rega RP8/RB3000/AT OC9XML, Clones Audio PA1, DDDac1794/Pi4, Rega Elicit-r, Bastanis Wildhorn speakers.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi John,

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Welcome to a brave new world Marco so glad you embraced the dark side
    One of the best things about this approach is the ablity to stream sites like Spotify with CD like quality I am listening to more music than ever using a similar approach
    Cheers, mate - it's great! I've not done the Spotify thing yet, but will do. At the moment I'm simply using the Pi to stream music from a NAS box and ripping my CDs to the Recent folder.

Have you gone the Pi route now, too? Btw, tell Martin that he *must* try the IQ-Audio DAC (instead of the HiFi Berry), and use the Pi straight into his Chord, using Volumio only, bypassing his preamp - it sounds AWESOME that way!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    What's the Volumio software like to use, Marco?...
    Great, Jo, dead easy and intuitive to use. I couldn't be happier with it.

I've not got a music server as yet, need to look in to that. Is using a HD too slow?.. or just not as instant.

Also, does it do gapless playback?.... (please say yes... please say yes)... heheh!
    In answer to your first question, I don't know, as I've no experience with an HD. What do you mean by gapless playback?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulman View Post
    Hi Marco,

Doesn't have to be that expensive a psu, I built one for £25 using a pre built board from ebay and toroidal transformer. It made a significant difference to the Pi/Pidac combo. Add a cheap £25 case to fit psu and Pi in and, as you said, it makes a stunning streamer for £120 (inc card and software)...
    Nice one, Des. I know Duncan has built one for his Pi, and he reckons there was an improvement, so I'm just waiting for him to build one for Ian and me. I don't know how he's designed it, but if he joins in the thread, I'm sure he'll explain

I've yet to hear a switch-mode PSU, in any application, not be outperformed by a high-quality linear unit.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm gone.

Interesting! - a decent sounding streamer system. Well, I never, that's a turnup for the books.

Any views of its utility for a classical music listener, Marco?

Give me an off the shelf solution and I might even be arsed to try it out!

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Great, Jo, dead easy and intuitive to use. I couldn't be happier with it.

In answer to your first question, I don't know, as I've no experience with an HD. What do you mean by gapless playback?

Marco.

Cheers... Gapless meaning that their is no gap between tracks... So, for example, Pink Floyd DSOTM plays through flawlessly just as it does on CD.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Interesting! - a decent sounding streamer system. Well, I never, that's a turnup for the books.

I've got 100s of 24-bit hi-res classical music files on hard-drives, Jerry, and they sound stunning, with the latest technology on the IQ-Audio DAC able to make the most of their resolution - you'd love it. Think SACD-style sound quality, only probably better!

I Intend to rip all of my (circa 800) classical vinyl records onto a separate hard-drive, so I can enjoy them seamlessly and uninterrupted, when I'm not using the turntable. The idea, not just with classical music, will be to sit in the garden, when the weather's nice, connect up the Celestion 15XRs, and listen to various kinds music (near-limitless choice), all controlled wirelessly from my laptop!

I might even pull the 66s outside, if I'm feeling really keen and want to 'broadcast' music to the pub next door!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Des.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Des. I know Duncan has built one for his Pi, and he reckons there was an improvement, so I'm just waiting for him to build one for Ian and me. I don't know how he's designed it, but if he joins in the thread, I'm sure he'll explain

I've yet to hear a switch-mode PSU, in any application, not be outperformed by a high-quality linear unit.

Marco.
    It wasn't only myself that heard it, I loaned th Pi and Psu to Belloire, he tried it, along with Setting Son and they both ordered one of the boards. For people who don't have someone to do it for them it is a really easy diy option and cheap for a good SQ upgrade....
    Rega RP8/RB3000/AT OC9XML, Clones Audio PA1, DDDac1794/Pi4, Rega Elicit-r, Bastanis Wildhorn speakers.

I'm Des.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

Jerry you can pay people to archive your music collection for you, they'll even come and set the streamer up for you! Might be a bit pricey though

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 177 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast