+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 177 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Analog Dinosaur' succumbs to the joys of FBA : enter Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+!!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    Could we have a straight forward description of how to put one of these things together? I'm currently using a squeezebox SB3 butt finding it a little unsatisfying. Given the price that SB3s go for on EBay, I could swap over for virtually no outlay.

The SB3 accesses a little Linux PC attached to the router which runs the Slimserver software that it needs, and has a 400gb hard drive attached. Presumably the Pi would be able to access the same library, but does it need to have any software running elsewhere on the network? If so, could an Android tablet handle the task?

I'm intrigued, but ignorant!
    From what I can ascertain a RasPi player will quite happily emulate a Squeezebox if you load it up with PiCorePlayer.
    How successful a marriage it is with LMS possibly lies with the level of LMS you're using, although with your mention of S3 I suspect you may be using a version of pre LMS server.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What's all this techy-talk and 'fear of using Linux' about, chaps?

I've not had to bother with any of that bollox, since I'm solely using the Pi as method of streaming music files from two hard-drives, contained in a NAS box. Let's try and keep it 'simple stupid', for non-techy folks, with an aversion to using computers, trying to get into FBA. It's all starting to sound way more complicated than it actually is, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Its sure as hell scared me....Linux; I have never dared use as I know nothing....NOTHING

as for NAS drives? nope not got that either
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I know nowt about Linux either - less than nowt, in fact, but I didn't need to know anything about it, in order to use the Pi!

As for NAS drives, what I've got, as far as I know, is just a big square aluminium box with two hard-drives in it, which lights up and makes a whirring noise (due to the cooling fans inside), that is connected to my router, and from there onto the Pi, via cat5e cable. There's nothing complicated about it.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    where can we buy this stuff for the best price?
    Ali, you can even buy the RPi from Farnell and RS Components. They should be pretty cheap too. I got mine from RS Australia and they delivered it free.

Make sure you get the Raspberry Pi 2 B as this is the latest and most powerful version, which you'll eventually be able to try with Windows 10 when it's released for the RPi.

I've used mine with the Hifiberry DAC+ and it doesn't sound as good as the Digi+ s/pdif board into a Caiman II in my system. I might have to try this DAC as it seems to be the business.
    Bernie.

I'm Josie.

I must admit, this is sparking an interest in me... The Durio dual mono version looks superb too although they seem to not be up to date which is a shame as it doesn't say that it's compatible with the latest Pi. Probably is but still...

lol.. I too don't even want to touch Linux... those days are over for me.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 21-03-2015 at 07:15.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm ILOB.

Welcome to a brave new world Marco so glad you embraced the dark side
    One of the best things about this approach is the ablity to stream sites like Spotify with CD like quality I am listening to more music than ever using a similar approach
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Josie.

What's the Volumio software like to use, Marco?...

I've not got a music server as yet, need to look in to that. Is using a HD too slow?.. or just not as instant.

Also, does it do gapless playback?.... (please say yes... please say yes)... heheh!
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Des.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Jerry,

As a music lover, first and foremost, it would not only be rather remiss of me, but completely ridiculous to ignore the benefits of using a device that both sounds superb and gives me access to near-limitless amounts of music, not to mention is as cheap-as-chips!

Much as I rate the sound of some NVA equipment, and have reported such on AoS, the Pi/IQ-Audio combo is in a different league, sonically, from the TFS - and I suspect will become even better with the addition of a high-quality linear PSU.

Marco.
    Hi Marco,

Doesn't have to be that expensive a psu, I built one for £25 using a pre built board from ebay and toroidal transformer. It made a significant difference to the Pi/Pidac combo. Add a cheap £25 case to fit psu and Pi in and, as you said, it makes a stunning streamer for £120 (inc card and software)...

Des
    Rega RP8/RB3000/AT OC9XML, Clones Audio PA1, DDDac1794/Pi4, Rega Elicit-r, Bastanis Wildhorn speakers.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    Ali, you can even buy the RPi from Farnell and RS Components. They should be pretty cheap too. I got mine from RS Australia and they delivered it free.

Make sure you get the Raspberry Pi 2 B as this is the latest and most powerful version, which you'll eventually be able to try with Windows 10 when it's released for the RPi.

I've used mine with the Hifiberry DAC+ and it doesn't sound as good as the Digi+ s/pdif board into a Caiman II in my system. I might have to try this DAC as it seems to be the business.
    Cheers Bernie, yes I've seen them on various sites, was wondering if there was a bundle somewhere with this dac.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 177 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast