+ Reply to Thread
Page 175 of 177 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177 LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1768

Thread: 'Analog Dinosaur' succumbs to the joys of FBA : enter Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+!!

I'm Mark.

I'm deep into auditioning every Pi combination I can lay my hands on: IQAudio, Allo, Audiophonics, et al - optimising software differently for each. All in all, though: they're an impressive bunch. It almost makes you wonder why you'd buy anything else.

The big benefit seems to come from the lightweight nature of the SBC (good for power, bad for jitter), combined with the unquestionable superiority of the short, hard-wired I2S connection and tidy (if unspectacular) D-A conversion. They all benefit from a bit of extra oomph in the preamp department (Burson's Cable+ is shockingly good at this), but (especially when upsampled) the digital volume controls tend not to be as lossy as many dedicated preamps. Direct to power offers real benefits.

One thing I've really noticed is how important the player/kernel is . . . is it just me, or is MoOde currently the most transparent-sounding in its low-latency V3.1 incarnation?

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    LMS is a pain! That is why I stopped using PiCore! It sounded fine but you need to set up LMS on your PC to use it!

Geoff

No you don't, I've just built an all in one box Rpi3/LMS/HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro using picoreplayer 3.11, rock solid and a doddle to use, works with either a local HD, or NAS for media store...an rpi3 is ideal for LMS functions.

I can't stress this enough, piCorePlayer will never corrupt your SDcard, regardless of powercuts etc.
    Cheers, Will

I'm Grant.

Sounds good Will. Nice one. You maybe should do a full how to in layman speak some day.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    No you don't, I've just built an all in one box Rpi3/LMS/HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro using picoreplayer 3.11, rock solid and a doddle to use, works with either a local HD, or NAS for media store...an rpi3 is ideal for LMS functions.

I can't stress this enough, piCorePlayer will never corrupt your SDcard, regardless of powercuts etc.
    Will,

would appreciate details of how you did this. I have an RPi2 with Digi+ but resented having to keep my desktop powered on for LMS.

Geoff

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Sounds good Will. Nice one. You maybe should do a full how to in layman speak some day.
    Ok Chaps here goes...

The key to all this is piCorePlayer, the latest release 3.11 is available here...

https://sites.google.com/site/picore.../home/download

...you'll need some SD imaging software, and an ipscanner if you want to use a wifi dongle, I'll go into that in more detail if anyone wants later.

For a single machine LMS&Player (IQaudio/Audiophonics/HiFiBerry etc.), you'll need the following

piCorePlayer 3.11 (audio enhanced, it has a few more drivers)

Pi3 or Pi2 (I've used a Pi3 but the Pi2 should be fine if a little slower at indexing)

A music data source, a NAS if you have one, or a USB powered HD (again fine with the Pi3 & it's PSU, not sure about the 2)

If you want to use wireless, one of these, (the Pi3's onboard wireless is rubbish!)...but do't use it if your music is on a NAS, it'll take hours to index over wifi!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Networkin...e+usb+realteck

A reasonable micro SD card, this is where LMS will store it's local 'index' and 'cache', so worth getting something decent I used one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After downloading and imaging piCorePlayer to the micro SD card, connect your pi to the network/router via ethernet, and power it up.

Using your IP scanner find 'piCorePlayer' on your network

Copy the IP address into your browser and enter, you should eventually get the piCorePlayer page

Go to the 'Main Page' tab, and open up advanced mode, it's at the bottom of the page

On the main page, under advanced operations you'll see 'resize FS', this will expand the SD to it's full extent, NB. when you make significant changes piCorePlayer will reboot and save it's settings, and in this case it will.

Now go to the LMS tab, you'll see an option to install LMS, click that and you'll be rebooted again...

If you want to use a local HD, you'll probably want to install the 'additional file systems' option, again on the LMS tab, it'll reboot again

For Local HD;

Connect your HD, go to the main page and select reboot, upon reboot go to the LMS tab you should see your HD in the USB section, give it a logical name at the /mnt (mount point) eg 'Music' or somesuch, when you first go into the LMS web page you'll be asked to select this as your music catalogue, then hit 'set USB mount'.

For NAS;

Just provide the IP address, network share name (the name you see in your windows explorer if it's mapped), and user ID/PW combo, then hit 'set net mount'

Open up a browser session and paste in the pi IP address suffixed by ':9000', this will open up the LMS browser, and after configuring your 'Music' share, it's a pop up, you should be able to build your catalogue (NB never unplug or power off the pi whilst LMS is rebuilding the index as this is the only time the SD card can be corrupted), you'll also see 'picoreplayer' as an active 'player' in the drop down list

At this point you're up and running...hopefully

FYI The Pi3 indexed (complete rebuild) 30,000 flac tracks locally in 30 mins, and 35 over the LAN, very impressive
    Cheers, Will

I'm Grant.

Nice walkthough Will... whats all its benefits over say moode again?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Ok Chaps here goes...

The key to all this is piCorePlayer, the latest release 3.11 is available here...

...you'll need some SD imaging software, and an ipscanner if you want to use a wifi dongle, I'll go into that in more detail if anyone wants later.

For a single machine LMS&Player (IQaudio/Audiophonics/HiFiBerry etc.), you'll need the following

Pi3 or Pi2 (I've used a Pi3 but the Pi2 should be fine if a little slower at indexing)

A music data source, a NAS if you have one, or a USB powered HD (again fine with the Pi3 & it's PSU, not sure about the 2)

If you want to use wireless, one of these, (the Pi3's onboard wireless is rubbish!)...but do't use it if your music is on a NAS, it'll take hours to index over wifi!

A reasonable micro SD card, this is where LMS will store it's local 'index' and 'cache', so worth getting something decent I used one of these...

After downloading and imaging piCorePlayer to the micro SD card, connect your pi to the network/router via ethernet, and power it up.

Copy the IP address into your browser and enter, you should eventually get the piCorePlayer page

Go to the 'Main Page' tab, and open up advanced mode, it's at the bottom of the page

On the main page, under advanced operations you'll see 'resize FS', this will expand the SD to it's full extent, NB. when you make significant changes piCorePlayer will reboot and save it's settings, and in this case it will.

Now go to the LMS tab, you'll see an option to install LMS, click that and you'll be rebooted again...

If you want to use a local HD, you'll probably want to install the 'additional file systems' option, again on the LMS tab, it'll reboot again

For Local HD;

Connect your HD, go to the main page and select reboot, upon reboot go to the LMS tab you should see your HD in the USB section, give it a logical name at the /mnt (mount point) eg 'Music' or somesuch, when you first go into the LMS web page you'll be asked to select this as your music catalogue, then hit 'set USB mount'.

For NAS;

Just provide the IP address, network share name (the name you see in your windows explorer if it's mapped), and user ID/PW combo, then hit 'set net mount'

Open up a browser session and paste in the pi IP address suffixed by ':9000', this will open up the LMS browser, and after configuring your 'Music' share, it's a pop up, you should be able to build your catalogue (NB never unplug or power off the pi whilst LMS is rebuilding the index as this is the only time the SD card can be corrupted), you'll also see 'picoreplayer' as an active 'player' in the drop down list

FYI The Pi3 indexed (complete rebuild) 30,000 flac tracks locally in 30 mins, and 35 over the LAN, very impressive
    Will,

thats very helpful. If I understand correctly PiCore player now loads a version of LMS on the SD card. Does that mean I should use a larger SD card? I think I am using an old 4gb card at present. Also, I have several thousand cds ripped to FLAC. Does the index take up a lot of space on the sd card too?

Thanks

Geoff

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Will,

thats very helpful. If I understand correctly PiCore player now loads a version of LMS on the SD card. Does that mean I should use a larger SD card? I think I am using an old 4gb card at present. Also, I have several thousand cds ripped to FLAC. Does the index take up a lot of space on the sd card too?

Thanks

Geoff
    ...hence the link to the high speed 32GB card
    Cheers, Will

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Nice walkthough Will... whats all its benefits over say moode again?
    Not having used 'moode' it would be unfair of me to compare, however the main advantage of piCorePlayer over other players/distros is its small 'footprint', so even when running LMS and a player, it runs from RAM, the SD card is therefore not corrupted even if you pull the power cord out...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Geoff.

Ok Chaps here goes...

For Local HD;

For NAS;

Will,

followed your clear instructions (including re-purposing a 32gb Sandisk sd card) and have successfully installed the latest PiCore player and LMS on my RPi. Everything is fine and the settings show correct on the web viewer http://192.168.1.182/cgi-bin/main.cgi page.

Problem is I can't get it to see my NAS disk (a My Book Live 3tb) despite it showing up on Fing as being connected.

Any ideas of where I am going wrong?

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread