+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FS Salmon and lettuce sandwich

synsei Guest

Silly threads such as this are my natural habitat...

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Good Lord - all this has forced me, purely for the purposes of resarch, to assemble a cheese and onion system.

My system consists of a pair of oatmeal bread slices each fitted, on one side only, with a thin layer of Hellmann's mayonnaise. Between the two slices are thin layers of Danish Jarlsberg cheese matched to thin slices of red onion.

Two observations: the first is that the system worked at it's full potential straight away, and no improvement was gained with time. Secondly the system is non-directional, working equally well regardless of which way the system was orientated (that is cheese uppermost or onion uppermost).
    Barry

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

I thought Horseradish was a beef thing? Mustard with Ham

As you can see I don't have a sense of humour
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    How about bacon with avocado? M&S used to sell them but are now no longer available. I loved them.
    Me too

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Good Lord - all this has forced me, purely for the purposes of resarch, to assemble a cheese and onion system.

My system consists of a pair of oatmeal bread slices each fitted, on one side only, with a thin layer of Hellmann's mayonnaise. Between the two slices are thin layers of Danish Jarlsberg cheese matched to thin slices of red onion.

Two observations: the first is that the system worked at it 's full potential straight away, and no improvement was gained with time. Secondly the system is non-directional, working equal well regardless of which way the system was orientated (that is cheese uppermost or onion uppermost).
    I'm questioning your choice of red onion, the outcome maybe on the sweet side. I'd go with spanish & perhaps a touch of horseradish in the mayo

synsei Guest

Red Onions? Now I know where I've been going wrong If I substitute my English onions for mild Red onions I may be able to stop using the sweet tomato chutney thus reducing the colouration on my paper platter, thanks Barry

EDIT: How are you finding the Hellmans integrates with the rest of the system, and could I get away with using a Morrisons Mayo, Hint Of Lemon unit as a cheaper alternative?

Encouraged by the results of the previous experiment, I have done a bit of component 'rolling'.

For this second system, I have replaced the red onion with 'chunk orientated' Branston pickle. A/B comparison would suggest the sweeter midrange of the pickle better compliments the mild but nutty top end of the Jarlsberg.

Synergy is the byword here: on reflection I feel the red onion better matches more mature cheeses. Certainly I can report good results with the matching of cucumber with Compte or cave-aged Emmental. Even more exotic, I have used beetroot, but would imagine many could find that system too coloured for their tastes, especially when used with Red Leicestershire.
    Barry

At this stage it would be useful to have the opions of an expert. I am only an amateur in these matters, and to advise us of the necessary fine tuning of the systems we really need the advice of a turophile.

I know of only one such expert here on AoS: The Grand Wazoo, originator of the cheese 'sticky' thread.
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

I understand that if you substitute different types of cheese (preferably new old stock) you can get different results.
    Of course this is a peculiarly British pastime and some people go to extraordinary lengths in pursuit of the ultimate cheese.

synsei Guest

Dammit, this is out of my league. I've decided to sell my system and go for a TUC Mini T

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast