+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Techie SL1200 Spares.

I'm Confused.

Smile Techie SL1200 Spares.

Hi guys,
    Before I put them on eBay is anyone interested in a SL1200 platter and/or base and top (not the plastic dust cover, the base lid that holds the tonearm etc.). There are no feet. Being honest they are not in very good cosmetic condition but the motor is there and it and the bearing appear to be in good nick. I purchased them off eBay a few weeks ago whilst awaiting the delivery of my own Techie just in case it's bargain price reflected it's condition - fortunately it didn't and consequently these are now surplus to requirements.
    PM me if interested.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm David.

sorry dave, is there a pespex lid available??
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm David.

.... ignor that i have re-read and now understand....
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    .... ignor that i have re-read and now understand....
    Hi Hamish,
    No probs and no perspex lid - sorry.
    How are you going on with your Techie - how did you set up the various settings like overhang, VTF, anti-skating force and tonearm height. Marco set up my cartridge and headshell on his Jelco armed Techie and we now believe the setting for the Techie arm is different so I think I'm going to have to start again from square one. Despite not being set up properly (probably), I'm still delighted with the sound I'm getting so hopefully it can only get better.
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm David.

well...
    its certainly not perfect, i have had problems with wha i belive to be azimuth and i dont have a clue how to alter it
    i also havent got the cart aligned properly, at least i dont think i have, as im fairly certain that i can hear some issues with high end vocals .. but only on some songs.. its odd
    anyway, since i have decided to put my tabriz zi(?) on im going to worry about the finer points of setting it properly once that is mounted ... that is of course if i can work out how
    so far so good though, im enjoying the experience and im happier with the sound over all than the roksan .. its just more interesting to listen too!
    i havent even listened to anything other than vynil since i got it... even thoough i can hear the problems, im getting more out of the whole experience if that makes sence

i have high hopes for this tabriz ... i just hope i can mount it myself
    apart from anything else im learning quite a lot as i go

also so far its only cost me the price of the deck.
    i have a £15 rega board on the way and a weight that will be less than £50 so once i have those and the mat im intending to order from dave for £90 , in combining some of the parts from my xexes i wont have spent more than £300 ish and i recon im gonna have a pretty good set up.. and the whole point of this exersise was a low cost upgrade.. so i pretty chuffed on the front!

im also starting to trust my ears more when hearing the more slight differences in sound that fiddling with this deck has provided me with

so yeah .. all in all, id say im pretty happy!

have you got yourself one of those alignment things yet?

I'm David.

as a side note...
    ...il tell you what dave, i do feel like such a bloddy ameture on this site sometimes! i always thought i was at least vaguely well informed when it comes to hifi... turns out really i know squat!
    it is very good to have someone else at the lower end of a learning curve with me when it comes to this tt stuff !!

Smile

Guys, I put this on another thread. Hamish, e-mail me directly at mail@DaveCawley.com and I'll send you a SL-1210 protractor.

My personal take:

The problem is that most standard arms are damaged by hard use. If they are damaged it makes sense to replace it with a better one.

A standard arm in good or new condition is as good, or bad as a Rega. So using a Rega is a bit of a waste of time, and to give you a idea they are only £60 trade............ If you rewire or refurb the standard arm, in the end you still have a standard arm.

The Jelco 250 is a great arm for the OC9.

The Jelco 750 is a great all round arm and has an interchangeable headshell, useful for some.

The SME M2 is a retro throwback and I don't recommend it.

The SME 309 is the bargain of the decade.

SME IV and V are for the wealthy but ultimately worth it, but only if you spend a shed load of money on a cartridge that will do them justice.

I have a new Hadcock unipivot, anyone want me to try it?

Regards

Dave

+ Reply to Thread