+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: My System Blog

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I don't know what your plans are but you should try it with a passive pre at some point.

Indeed Martin....I'm currently looking for a Creek OBH-22.

S.

I'm Shane.

Default System Update

I have reverted back to the Naim Nait 5i. This time being a 2006 model.

The 5i does indeed carry a slight controversial reputation. Some love it, Some hate it! But I appreciate its ''groovy'' musical presentation. I also find the bass performance from Naim amps ''grippy'' but yet tuneful! Just my opinion of course.

Last week I collected a nice Naim CDX...which I believe was built in late 2000/early 01. The build quality is simply stunning. I can only describe the sound with one word-Dynamic! This CD Player has plenty clout in the bass performance. Detail retrieval is deeeep! I suppose its character is like a good Decca cartridge.

This morning I received a pair of Mission 760i bookshelf speakers. They date from the early 90's and look well made.

Will follow soon with some pics.

S.

I'm Shane.

Just acquired this DAK Novo headphone amp. Its the ''kit version'' of the Graham Slee Novo.

All I'm saying for now this thing is ferking small!!

S.

I'm Shane.

Had a little afternoon session listening to the DAK Novo.

It looks nice, and feels smooth. The big advantage, is the sheer small footprint. You can place it anywhere, especially in tight spaces. Its very light too!

The sound is a tad difficult for me to describe at the moment. For now, I'll just perceive it as neutral sounding. There is a lack of character. This headphone amp is capable of just letting the source or headphones shine their own colour.

I might again write some more on this combo soon.

The system combo is pictured below.

Headphones: HD650
    Amp: DAK Novo (Graham Slee) with basic ''wall wart'' plug.
    Interconnects: NVA Sound Cord
    Source: Sony PS1 (SCPH-1002)

S.

I'm Geoff.

It looks neat. That's how a good headphone amp (or any other amp) should be Shane. Neutral with no colouration or character imposed on the sound.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

used to have a slee head amp. very good they are too. youll like that and if phones are comfy then no fatigue
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shane.

Yes, absolutely Geoff.

The HD650, is actually a pretty ''warm'' sounding headphone. The Novo does a decent job balancing the presentation.

I'm happy enough using this headphone system if I'm not using the hifi.

S.

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    used to have a slee head amp. very good they are too. youll like that and if phones are comfy then no fatigue

Was it the Novo, or the better ''upper class'' model? (Can't remember the name)

S.

I'm Grant.

It was a novo I had, yes Shane. I liked it but due to my tinitus had to stop using phones
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shane.

Default Kraken!!!

Reunited with this Alchemist Kraken. This is the early MK1 version in Hammerite finish.

Back in its heyday. There was the main ''upgrade'' option for the Kraken. This was by simply having a second transformer. But of course, at an extra cost!

This one currently just has the one transformer.

Without a doubt this is indeed a lovely, musical sounding amp. It reminds me of the Sugden. If just a little more smoother, and perhaps rounder in its presentation.

Will be keeping the Kraken to use in a second room.

S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast