+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Croft Acoustics at Radlett Audio

I'm Simon.

I bought my original micro basic from Dave before upgrading to the micro 25. It was a great pre for the price. It's a shame Glenn has stopped producing it but you can't blame him if he's not making any money.
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I think too many Basics were being bought by AOS members and then sold on before comparing with the 'proper' Micro 25, which really is a better product
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I think too many Basics were being bought by AOS members and then sold on before comparing with the 'proper' Micro 25, which really is a better product
    I think you're right.

Although I got a very good deal on a demo micro 25 so it was nearly a cost neutral upgrade. I can't see my 25 going anywhere for a long time. And i've not even started playing with the valves yet :-)
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Johan.

I see this thread is about Croft, so I use it as an opportunity to ask a question. I am the happy owner of a Croft Super Micro IV with octal valves. It is almost unknown here in Norway. How is this pre-amp regarded in the UK?

I'm Dave.

Not familiar with this model. Is it a 'Super' or a 'Mega' ? It might have been mod'd at some timne.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Memory plays tricks Dave and you know how mine is, but didn't Glenn do two Series 4 preamps, the conventional valved, but fairly heavily power supplied 4PP that I have, and a simpler supplied but octal valved model (SMA4) that sold for similar money (£899) back then? The octal versions had a warmer and softer quality to them I remember - very 'valvey.'

I'm Dave.

I remember an octal valved pre, just can't recall the name. Then there was the 2 box, Mega Micro using octal valves. That was good.

I'm David.

I remember comparing the octal and the PP (leaving the mega Micro out for a minute) and liking the PP best for my needs at the time. I'm really glad I was able to get another

I'm Dave.

Will you be using it with your Krell monos ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12