+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beethoven 4th

I'm Jason.

Default Beethoven 4th

I recently realised I didn't have a recording of Beethoven's 4th Symphony, so bought a couple: Karajan's '62 DG recording paired with Eroica, and Walter's '58 with the Columbia Symphony, paired with Pastoral.

Both fine recordings that come with any number of recommendations. But what about modern recordings? It was hearing Kent Nagano talk about the 4th that got me started, and he has made a recording. Any other contemporary recordings you've enjoyed?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I can highly recommend the Beethoven Symphonies as performed by Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique, conducted by John Eliot Gardener.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-Co...+revolutionare

Last edited by Barry; 10-03-2015 at 22:19. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Andr'e.

Must be the 9th

Viddy well.

I'm Jason.

Thanks Barry, having asked for contemporary suggestions I have been listening to a Furtwangler 1950 recording recommended by a colleague, so heading in the other direction at the moment..

I'm Andrei.

This is one of those symphones that I do not have a favourite. Riccardo Chailly with the Gewandhausorchester is sound. Good tempos.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

+ Reply to Thread