+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie from Liverpool bit of help to get me started

I'm John.

Default Newbie from Liverpool bit of help to get me started

Hi I have just joined the community today and I live in Liverpool in the UK, which is maybe... just maybe the greatest city in the World, but then I'm biased.

I am new to HiFi in general and this new hobby has arisen from my long time love of music. I like everything from acid/modern jazz to thrash metal, from folk to prog rock, dubstep to ambient house and everthing inbetween from every era. I've recently been discovering Terry Callier and Sarah Vaughan... Nice!!

My rather budget system comprises of:

Sources:- NAD542 cdp, Technics 1210 with a Moth mk1 (rega 202) arm with incognito wiring and Nag MP110 cart, using phono in the Creek.
    Amp:- Creek 4040s3
    Speakers:- Dynaudio DM2/7 on Epos ES11 stands

I'm hoping to make my 1st visit to Scalford in a few weeks... cool.

I've joined AoS to get advice on upgrading my Techie.

Couple of questions to save me hours searching which I would like advise on please:

1. Which is considered the best platter mat $100 or so to replace the rubber one, been looking at the Herbie's and Achromat?

2. The rega arm has the incognito rewire so I was thinking of upgrading the stub and weight to a michelle techno, but I'm also thinking of saving the cash and upgrading the arm in the future instead to a Jelco 750d, what's your opinions on this?

3. Could point me in the right direction to find information on how to fit a new arm plate, it has a sound supports arm plate on it at the moment but I had to glue it in place as I just couldn't see how to bolt it without taking the whole deck apart, I'm thinking of getting a speedy steve ebony one in the future, cos they just look gorgeous

Thanks for any advice
    John

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS John.

Wonderfully wide tastes in music you enjoy!

Apropos your questions regarding the Technics mat and Rega arm upgrades, well as you might have read, both components are popular with members here, so I expect someone will be along shortly who will be able to help you.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
    Barry
    Barry

I'm John.

Nice picture of Manjushri, Barry, I've been to the centre in the Lakes many times

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Welcome to AoS John.

Wonderfully wide tastes in music you enjoy!

Apropos your questions regarding the Technics mat and Rega arm upgrades, well as you might have read, both components are popular with members here, so I expect someone will be along shortly who will be able to help you.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Wow - I think you are the first person to have recognised my 'avatar'! Well done.
    Barry

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by luvpies View Post
    Hi I have just joined the community today and I live in Liverpool in the UK, which is maybe... just maybe the greatest city in the World, but then I'm biased.

I am new to HiFi in general and this new hobby has arisen from my long time love of music. I like everything from acid/modern jazz to thrash metal, from folk to prog rock, dubstep to ambient house and everthing inbetween from every era. I've recently been discovering Terry Callier and Sarah Vaughan... Nice!!

My rather budget system comprises of:

Sources:- NAD542 cdp, Technics 1210 with a Moth mk1 (rega 202) arm with incognito wiring and Nag MP110 cart, using phono in the Creek.
    Amp:- Creek 4040s3
    Speakers:- Dynaudio DM2/7 on Epos ES11 stands

I'm hoping to make my 1st visit to Scalford in a few weeks... cool.

I've joined AoS to get advice on upgrading my Techie.

Couple of questions to save me hours searching which I would like advise on please:

1. Which is considered the best platter mat $100 or so to replace the rubber one, been looking at the Herbie's and Achromat?

2. The rega arm has the incognito rewire so I was thinking of upgrading the stub and weight to a michelle techno, but I'm also thinking of saving the cash and upgrading the arm in the future instead to a Jelco 750d, what's your opinions on this?

3. Could point me in the right direction to find information on how to fit a new arm plate, it has a sound supports arm plate on it at the moment but I had to glue it in place as I just couldn't see how to bolt it without taking the whole deck apart, I'm thinking of getting a speedy steve ebony one in the future, cos they just look gorgeous

Steve will send you all the fittings which go into the recesses you will see once you get the old arm off. It's dead simple even I could do it. Just follow his instructions and you'll be fine.

Thanks for any advice
    John
    All the best and welcome to the forum.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Wow - I think you are the first person to have recognised my 'avatar'! Well done.
    Oh, I have recognised it, just never commented on it.

Welcome John,

To answer your questions:
    1. It's personal taste. I have the Achromat and a Resomat. I switch between the two as my mood takes me. There is also the SDS Iosplatmat to consider, and many others.
    2. One of the biggest changes you can make is the arm. The Michell technoweight is an upgrade, but it's not the in the same league as an arm upgrade.
    3. See here - http://www.originlive.com/images/pdf...rd-Fitting.pdf
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm John.

Nice one thank you so yep have to screw off the base.

Kadampa for 18years, but hey many paths to the same place

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Oh, I have recognised it, just never commented on it.

Welcome John,

To answer your questions:
    1. It's personal taste. I have the Achromat and a Resomat. I switch between the two as my mood takes me. There is also the SDS Iosplatmat to consider, and many others.
    2. One of the biggest changes you can make is the arm. The Michell technoweight is an upgrade, but it's not the in the same league as an arm upgrade.
    3. See here - http://www.originlive.com/images/pdf...rd-Fitting.pdf

I'm keiron.

Hi I have just joined the community today and I live in Liverpool in the UK, which is maybe... just maybe the greatest city in the World
    Correct

Which is considered the best platter mat $100 or so to replace the rubber one, been looking at the Herbie's and Achromat?
    Just my own opinion based on my own experiences here...I have never found mats to make a difference whatever turntable I use. I acquired my 1210 last year and have tried a few, including the popular Funk mat. I'm currently using a leather mat, which looks cool and in my experience keeps static down.

On the other hand, I also don't hear any differences when changing feet which many 1210 owners recommend as a must-do. Having cloth ears is truly a blessing

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by keiron99 View Post
    Correct

Just my own opinion based on my own experiences here...I have never found mats to make a difference whatever turntable I use. I acquired my 1210 last year and have tried a few, including the popular Funk mat. I'm currently using a leather mat, which looks cool and in my experience keeps static down.

On the other hand, I also don't hear any differences when changing feet which many 1210 owners recommend as a must-do. Having cloth ears is truly a blessing
    Great advice thank you, currently has a acri-mat on it that is 293mm that I just picked up for free, but getting loads of static when lifting record on and off the platter? and I think there is also an issue with my cart Nag MP110, soundstage is terrible and mostly over to the left, I only got the deck last Saturday and put the arm and cart on with the help of an experienced friend who used a Dr Feickert alignment protractor, not impressed so far, this is my 1st turntable, arm is brand new but cart was second hand from pfm, was told it only had 15 hours on it, feel like just sticking to CD and selling vinyl set up as feeling disillusioned at the moment.

I'm Grant.

Sounds like the cart is not aligned correctly but obviously there could be varied others....don't give up too quick. Once fettled vinyl can sound great
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast