+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Headphones Blog

I'm Shane.

Default My Headphones Blog

Whenever I fancy having that particular headphone thrill listening. I usually plug in my trusty old SR80's.

My SR80's as you can see pictured below, are well over 10 years old now. I purchased them second hand way back in Spring of 2011. I've always used them on/off through the years.

These SR80's of mines still continues to astonish me! Please bare in mind no mods have been made. No interest!

Their level of separation, transparency and detail really digs deep into the music. They are ultra fast sounding headphones with a sharp focused midrange.

I'm guessing a loudspeaker equivalent, in similar sound quality wise are the Linn Kans. As both do speed and transparency in spades!! Anyway, enough with comparing headphones to speakers!

The Grado headphone sound aren't for everyone, which I can understand. Especially people coming from the HD600/650 background.

S.

I'm gone.

Yep, I love my Grado 'phones too - I have SR125i and SR325i in different locations.
    And as you say, they take no prisoners and aren't for the faint of heart. Fabulous high rez transparent sound.

You really should try them with upmarket ear pads intended for the high end models, though, Shane. They take them up another step or 3, making the sound much more spacious, open and involving, and are also hugely more comfortable as they completely surround your ears and don't press on them at all.
    http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/grado-r...FeHLtAodTkkAww
    Expensive but well worth it, imo.
    You can sometimes get the same design for half the price, but I can't find a linkie at the moment.

EDIT: here's a US source for cheaper ones http://goodcans.com/HeadphoneStore/i...products_id=65
    Last edited by jandl100; 10-03-2015 at 10:19.

I'm Shane.

Thanks, Jerry.

S.

I'm Paul.

Totally agree with you Shane.

As you know I recently bought the SR325 headphones from you and am already loving their qualities and have been a Grado's fan since I bought my first pair of SR125 headphones from John Grado's himself at the Ramada Hotel in Heathrow whilst at the Hifi News Show when they first became available in the UK... Oh and bought a pair of PS500's at a show last year.

Bizarrely I have tried the ear pads Jerry describes but personally found the openness a bit too much as they lose some of the bass response and therefore the magic. But as they say it's personal choice.

P.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Shane.

One tweak I wouldn't mind having. Is mahogany cups on my SR80's. They will make them sound a bit warmer and richer.

S.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post
    Bizarrely I have tried the ear pads Jerry describes but personally found the openness a bit too much as they lose some of the bass response and therefore the magic. But as they say it's personal choice.

P.
    Hmm, yes, fair comment. You do have to trade a touch of bass oomph for the added openness (and comfort) - I suspect it's because there's more distance to the ear with the larger cups. Personally I think it makes the budget models close the gap to a surprising degree with the upmarket model numbers in the 'thousands'.

One of the great Hifi Show experiences for me was having a listen to a pair of GS1000 - my jaw literally dropped! ... I think the fancy earcups give that sort of quality to the models in the hundreds. But yes, compromises are required to a degree which may or may not be acceptable.

I'm Shane.

The GS1000/e sure looks the business!

S.

I'm Shane.

Default Grado SR60i

Showed up on my doorstep this afternoon...

Yes, these are the humble Grado SR60i. Very popular budget Grado headphone.

They boogie just like any other Grado that I've come across!

S.

I'm Grant.

I like the looks of thos grados. proper jobs!
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shane.

They are sure feeding that Brooklyn attitude to my ears

S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast