+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Apple Snow Leopard.. A cheap hi-fi upgrade?

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Excellent post, Shuggs. I could easily highlight all of it. However, the bit in bold is spot-on and shows that you really do understand what AOS is all about; which to be fair, Chippy appears to be picking up fast!

Marco.
    I don't read his post like that Marco. He is basically telling me to show some humility, and I resent that. I have posted nothing to warrant any rebuke or to be told about showing humility. I think he has a bit of a cheek if I am honest.
    Last edited by Chippy_boy; 04-09-2009 at 16:59.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Chippy,

Well maybe that's because I know Shuggs quite well - and you don't. It's easier to interpret the intent behind someone's posts when you understand their way of thinking

I suspect that Shuggs was referring to your earlier quip about people "fooling themselves", and drew a similar inference with your mentioning of trusting ones ears. However, I think that particular aspect of the discussion has been dealt with quite sufficiently, so I suggest we now all get back to the original thread topic.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    So I suggest we now all get back to the original thread topic.

Marco.
    Happily so.

I'm Hugo.

Chippy

I'm sorry if I have niggled or offended you - that was not my intention, rather to present a balanced viewpoint.

Regarding the original topic of this thread, I'm actually quite excited about giving streamed digital audio another try. I used a Squeezebox 3 for some time, and while it was not the ultimate in HiFi, it was very convenient, as long as the host PC was turned on. I particularly liked having Alien BBC on hand, for Listen Again etc. When I changed to a Mac, I found that Squeezecenter worked OK, but I could not get Alien BBC to work (actually I could not understand the installation instructions for the Mac), so I stopped using it. The iMac is virtually silent, though, and I tried streaming optical digital from that to my amp. It worked, but there was nothing about the sound that gripped me, and I went back to little silver and big black discs. So now, maybe, with Snow Leopard things will be different. I hope so!

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    Chippy

I'm sorry if I have niggled or offended you - that was not my intention, rather to present a balanced viewpoint.
    Big of you to apologize, and I am sorry for perhaps over reacting.

Glad we're all mates here really :-)

I hope you start getting the sound from your Mac that you desire.

I've just installed snow leopard and on first listen I don't think I can hear much difference in the sound quality. What hardware are you guys using?

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Hi there,

Just thought I'd add my two cents. I haven't noticed any improvement in sound quality since I upgraded (fresh install, not an archive and install).

By the way, call me crazy, but I could've sworn Audio Midi Setup offered 32-bit output now, but it seems to have disappeared since I noticed it just after installing. It showed up on a MacBook Pro I was playing with in an Apple Store as well, and I drew a staff member's attention to it. Funny I can't find it now. Am I crazy or did someone else notice this?
    Last edited by sburrell; 12-09-2009 at 23:31.
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678