+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings to all, especially Lampi DAC Owners (In my case a Big 7)

I'm Michael.

Default Greetings to all, especially Lampi DAC Owners (In my case a Big 7)

First, it's a pleasure finding this site and I would like say Hi to everyone!

I've been involved in the audio hobby for (seemingly) ever! As a youngster (12 or so), not having a clue about hi-fi, I recall buying raw drivers and mounting them in cardboard boxes just to see if I could make the sound better. I also remember pleading with my dad to allow me to use alligator clips to "hard-wire" a portable 3" reel-to-reel tape deck to our console TV, so I could record the Beatles performance on the Ed Sullivan TV show -- the lapel-type microphone that came with the recorder, sounded like crap by comparison to the hard wired connection. So, I suppose even then, I was a budding audiophile, but because none of my family or friends had anything but console stereos, I didn't know that some pretty great audio equipment existed. By the time I was a poor college student, I lusted after audio equipment (man, Marantz was the unreachable pinnacle), but I couldn't afford anything until I graduated and obtained my first "real" job that provided income beyond housing and food.

At any rate, it's great finding a new audio-related forum. In the past, my primary go-to forums have been: Audiogon, AudioAsylum and ComputerAudiophile. As might be surmised by my Title, and the mention of the ComputerAudiophile website, I'm an avid computer audio fan. I began the PC audio journey in 2007, when I sold my Wadia 861 CDP, replacing it with a Wavelength Audio, Brick-Silver DAC and then later, a Wavelength Crimson DAC.

I recently acquired a Lampizator Big 7 DAC and thus enjoyed reading the tube rolling information contained herein, entitled: "Lampizator Level 7"!

For a little more of my audio history and likes: my first pair of speakers in the early 1970's were ESS Heil AMT 3's ("Rock Monitors"). Since then, for 2-channel playback purposes, I've owned Apogee's, Martin Logan's and now Soundlab M1PX's. Thus, I'm a fan of the ribbon-like Air Motion Transformer technology found in the Heil's, Ribbons in general and Stats -- Dipole Speakers! Additionally, I'm using Martin Logan's in my Home Theater room.
    All of my electronics -- pre-amp and monoblocks are tube based and of course my PC audio DAC's have also used tubes.

In addition to my Lampi DAC, my front end also consists of a Galibier Quattro turntable, Tri-Planar Tonearm and Dynavector XV1s Cart.

Cheers to all,

-Mike

I'm Geoffrey.

Hello and welcome Mike.

Geoff.

I'm Grant.

Welcome to AoS Michael. Sorry for the delay in the greeting. I hope you enjoy the forum and contribute to the discussions.
    regards Grant
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS Michael

Regards Neil

I'm Justin.

Wow Mike I think we must have the same ears! I used Martin Logans for 17 years, and own a pair of AMT speakers - Mark & Daniel Sapphires.

I also have a very special pair of custom built to my spec Apogee Duettas which I have called the Interstella.

We also own the same DAC.

I don't think I have ever noticed someone which such similar tastes.

Respect!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Mike,

Some nice equipment you have there. What are your tastes in music?

Hope you enjoy the Forum

Regards
    Barry
    Barry

I'm James.

Welcome Mike, wow very comprehensive introduction to some very nice kit.
    Think you will get on well with another big Lampi fan on this site.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Michael.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Wow Mike I think we must have the same ears! I used Martin Logans for 17 years, and own a pair of AMT speakers - Mark & Daniel Sapphires.

I also have a very special pair of custom built to my spec Apogee Duettas which I have called the Interstella.

We also own the same DAC.

I don't think I have ever noticed someone which such similar tastes.

Respect!
    I would love to hear your custom-built Apogee Duettas (Interstella's). I imagine that they are wonderful! I never owned anything larger than Apogge Stages.

So yes User211, our tastes appear to be quite similar.

In the early 70's while shopping for my first speaker pair, I happened across Janszen electrostatics. Although they arc'ed, didn"t play loud and had mimimun bass, I never forgot thier glorious and open mid-range. Being young, loud was good and louder was better, so I ended up with the aforementioned ESS Heil AMT 3's. But my introduction to the world of dipolar speakers was established quite early.

Owning Soundlab M1's, a couple years ago, I was contemplating downsizing. The Soundlabs being full-range stats, are obviously imposing. My CAT JL3 monoblocks at 180lbs. each are also a handful. Thus, my son and I attended the 2012 RMAF. We listened to every speaker there, with as eye on very high efficient designs that could be driven by low watt amps. While we heard some horns, open baffle designs and other efficient full range floor standers that were interesting, we remained locked on the stats and ribbons at the show. All in all, we realized that these sorts of speakers provide a sort of effortless reproduction that is quite to our liking.

Not finding anything that I preferred better than my S/L M1's, I not only decided to keep them and my beloved CAT amps, but I decided to sell my M1's and upgrade to M1PX panels as well Soundlabs' optional Consummate backplates with the Hot Rod upgrade. I've never looked back....

So as you User211, panels seem to be kings in my sonic world! BTW, at least with my S/L's, I've found that absorbing the rear soundwaves provides a very nice enhancement of imaging and the soundstage.

Cheers, -Mike

I'm Norm.

Howdy Mike. Been a while.

I'm Ked.

HI Mike, I too am a B7 owner, owned Martin Logan Summits, like User211s special designed Apogees, and love planars in general, including Analysis Audio.

Good to know you made the Hotrod upgrade, do you also have the Torroid II transformer?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast