+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A viable alternative to Sky

I'm John.

Default A viable alternative to Sky

I am sick and tired of Sky putting their costs up and publicising offers that are available to 'new customers only' they're obviously not really bothered about looking after the one's they've already got.
    What really hacks me off is there doesn't appear to be any real alternative meaning Sky can charge whatever they like and get away with it.

I've been with Sky for around 12 years and this time my subscription has just shot up from £33.00 to £61.00 a month due to an offer ending that they gave me last year because I said I would cancel.
    This appears to be the normal procedure for getting discount: Phone them, ask for a better deal, get nowhere, ask for cancellations, get a better deal.
    I'm fed up with it. If they valued their customers they would offer the best deal without the customer having to resort to threats of cancellation.
    I rang them this afternoon and have had to knock Movies & Sports on the head to reduce the cost because I'm not prepared to pay £732.00 a year on top of the TV Licence.
    To be honest I never watch sport except Moto GP which is on BT Sports and I get it free anyway.

According to my planner we mainly watch the normal Free to view channels, Sky 1 & Atlantic.
    If it wasn't for my kids watching quite a few of the kids channels, most of which are not available free I'd cancel the whole lot.

I've spent a few hours today trying to make sense of BT's offering and gave up. Virgin Media is poor in my area apparently and I'm not going with Talk Talk…..so what to do?
    Is there any other viable alternative out there or am I forever to remain in the clutches of Sky?

I'm Grant.

Just cancel it. It's totally u necessary. I watch dvds a nd record stuff I like on free view plus listen to music
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi John,

Why not take a more proactive approach and (slowly) wean the kids off of watching the cartoon channels, as that seems to be where the bulk of your spending is, and get them involved in a healthier activity and/or something which keeps them occupied that doesn’t cost anything, or at least much less than the funding of your Sky subscription?

You’d be surprised sometimes at how the simplest of things can keep them entertained, as long as they’ve got mum and dad’s attention...

That way, your partner and you can enjoy the basic Sky channels, and save a fortune, perhaps spending the money saved on taking the kids out to the zoo, Center Parcs or something like that?

For me, it’s about YOU taking control of your own life, and that of your family, and not allowing others to control it for you. Don’t allow ’the system’ to eat you up!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Stick with Sky. TV is good for you and if you stop your kids from watching it they will end up as freaks and misfits.

I've seen it happen.

I cancelled my cable tv and lived with freeview for a year or so. It didn't have any of the channels I watch except BBC4. In the end had to resume my subscription because I missed South Park and they don't show that on any free to air channels. £65 a month for all the channels plus silly-meg broadband and a landline (which I never use). Not too bad.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Lol - I presume that that post is tongue-in-cheek?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

No. Not at all. I'm a big fan of TV as was my father before me. Granted there is a lot of shit on it too but nowadays with 70 odd channels you can always find something worthwhile to watch.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

No worries. I’m just all for anything that gets kids moving, and their backsides off of sofas watching TV or playing computer games, as I can see the damage it causes, in all sorts of ways.

Kids these days need less TV and more fresh air!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No worries. I’m just all for anything that gets kids moving and their backsides off of sofas watching TV or playing computer games, as I can see the damage it causes, in all sorts of ways.

Kids these days need less TV and more fresh air!

Marco.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm scott.

spend the £61 a month on concert tickets & CD/LPs

I'm Shane.

My Sky subscription lapsed about 10 years ago, so since then we've only received the free-to-view channels. You know what? My life isn't diminished by the slightest degree. Of the channels that are available we only regularly watch the BBC as the whole family finds the continuous adverts on the other channels moronic and intrusive to such an extent that they completely destroy the whole viewing experience.

It does however leave me the problem of having become a complete Game Of Thrones addict. Devious tactics have had to be employed to satisfy that one....
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast