+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Minor speaker cable upgrade

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmo View Post
    The Van Dam me is cheap enough that I bi-wire using 6mm for the lower drivers and 2.5 mm for the tweeters. Works well and does not break the bank.
    sounds nice

Can't wait till Sunday to try out this Black Rhodium IRIS-esque stuff I got sent though.
    It does look way way too fancy though for my tastes. I am kind of embarrassed by them!
    My Brio 3 is gonna be mutton dressed as lamb and no mistake...

I'm Craig.

In my system I used to have TQ Black £200 for a 2m pair.

I now have Van Damme 6mm Blue £50 ish for a 2m pair.

Buggered if I can hear much, if any difference at a quarter of the price.
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by icehockeyboy View Post
    In my system I used to have TQ Black £200 for a 2m pair.

I now have Van Damme 6mm Blue £50 ish for a 2m pair.

Buggered if I can hear much, if any difference at a quarter of the price.

Well I never got the chance to try anything in the middle.

When I contacted David at MCRU it was to ask him about whether the 2.5m pair of Black Rhodium Jive he was selling at £35 discounted from £120 was going to make much difference to what I was using.
    He replied asking me what my budget was...

Anyway so here I am a bit later with a pair of what looks like Black Rhodium Iris, except with gold Z plugs over the rhodium plugs. From where I can find it on the web these cables should cost about £300, and they look insane. When I got back from being away we were sitting around listening to music and I plugged in the new cables. My other half was stunned at the difference. I told her that they were going to cost £100 and she just said "pay him". I told her that he was also going to recommend some interconnects for us and she said that on the strength of the speaker cables, I should just buy whatever he suggested. This is rather a big deal - trying to get E interested in the stereo is difficult. She likes when it sounds good, but generally has ZERO interest in how it gets to sound that way, yet with this she was all - "Cool - they look like snakes"

Sadly David seems to have been banned from here whilst this was all going on. He is maybe a bit brusque in emails but what he has sent me is astoundingly good and the price is way lower than what I would usually expect to pay for something like this, so all I can say is that I have been happy doing business with him so far and am happy to be unaware of whatever the intrigue is... indeed the fact that he spent so long on emails for such a tiny sale was kind of amazing really. David even sent the cables to an address that he knew my mum was moving out of, and he doesn't know me from Adam, and I like the trust based nature of that a lot. He still hasn't asked me for any money, and hopefully some more cables are on the way...

Loving the stereo - its like a whole new system.... thank you David (and he even included some wee pre-cut pieces of the same wire for nowt, so I could make my own bridgers!)

Last edited by rdpx; 21-03-2015 at 17:03. Reason: PIX

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    The Mark Grant G2000HD is also very good, but you already knew that.
    I would second that. Mark's cables are very good indeed and great value for money...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I would second that. Mark's cables are very good indeed and great value for money...
    I've just picked up a pair of G1000HD...

I'm Alex.

I have used CAT-6 solid-core ethernet cables as speaker cables in a bi-wire shotgun configuration and have got excellent results from them. I use 2 conductors for treble and 6 for the bass. One CAT-6 for + and another for -
    The cable that sounded best was solid-core CAT 6 with a centre spine. The worst sounding CAT 6 was the flat ribbon version. Stranded versions also dont sound good IMO

From different forums, it is a poor man's Litz style cable

Decent interconnects improve performance out of sight.

I'm Steve.

I thought you were banned???
    Quote Originally Posted by MCRU View Post
    Cables can be quite surprising, I am going to send you something quite special within your budget to try. 2 metre pair

I am at a funeral tomorrow so will post some friday, you may be shocked what £100 cables can do if chosen wisely!

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    I thought you were banned???
    He got banned in the middle of our transaction, which was a bit weird for me as a new member on the forum who was blissfully unaware of any of its politics. I have nothing but praise for the man though as he has sold me some very good cable at a crazy price, and he is far more amusing to deal with than most people one comes across in life.

R

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234