+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Brass Record Puck

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-Brown View Post
    Cheers for that Mika - looks great!! Following the feedback so far the next batch will have the choice of both weights
    Hi Tom
    I thought that I would add my two cents worth...... I have a VPI Classic 3 and also the HRX Center Weight. After the discussion of what weight is best, I measured the HRX weight and it is 778 grams. I would suggest that you keep the 700 gram version as an option for those with tables like the VPI Classic.

I'm Rob.

I bought a puck from Graham a couple of weeks ago - to use with my Linn LP12. I'm really please with it. It works a treat. I bought the lighter 406g puck.

At the same time I got my LP12 back from AudioT, who had fitted a Heed Orbit 1 power supply to it. They also gave the deck a service. The result is that I'm enjoying listening to records more than I have for a little while.

Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Ken.

My two cents - I used to use a Project weight off an RPM 9 deck, this was brass and weighed in at 800g. I found that with a complient mat this was so heavy that it pressed down in the centre lifting the outer edge of the (thinner) records slightly so there was little if any contact with mat for the first couple of tracks.

It's something to watch out for when using that amount of weight.

I used to put a record on the mat and tap around with a finger to see that the contact and sound created by a finger was even over the whole surface, it rarely was, regardless of how heavy the weight. I stopped using a weight in the end. My present platter is acrylic and was designed to work without a mat but with this 800g weight, I think it sounds better without it and the finger test certainly is more even and dead sounding over the whole surface without it.

Some folks will benefit from a mat and or a weight, it's one of those areas with no single or black/white answers.

Another thing which may not be obvious to everyone is that if you start using a reasonably heavy weight, you will have to check your deck for being level. I did a lot of testing when balancing my deck to get the weight even on all four of the isonone feet. Adding the 800g weight to the platter, which is off centre, really changed the way the deck sat. So I had to decide whether to balance/level with or without the record puck.

danilo Guest

Default Record clamp?

Rather than adding an 'Additional' Ingot weight load to my pore Thorens main bearing
    Are there screw down Clamps that work/grab onto the wee Thorens spindle ?

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Rather than adding an 'Additional' Ingot weight load to my pore Thorens main bearing
    Are there screw down Clamps that work/grab onto the wee Thorens spindle ?
    I'm not sure, but I think that Michell make one that is a clamp rather than weight !!!
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" Ernest Hemingway

Set-Up (So Far) Garrard 401 with Rega 300 arm & Black 2M, Longdog Audio twin valve dual input phono, Denon DVD 2500 Transport all through Creek Destiny Mk1 integrated amp into Rega RS3 Floor standers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234