+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: amp warm up?

I'm keith.

Default amp warm up?

When i first got my nad c320bee amp about 5 yrs ago i remember it taking about 30 mins to start sounding good. Gradually its taking longer and longer to do so now. Im at the point where its a huge noticeable difference after 90-120mins of playing when the music sounds much better. Volume gets louder, bass is fuller and more defined and much better clarity in general. ive tried to keep an open mind over the last few months about this and tried to make sure its not something im imagining but its definitely there. Its almost like a switch is turned on and the music goes from quite cold and hollow to what i mention.

Should it really take almost 2 hours for an amp to start sounding good or is it a sign of an imminent faliure?

I'm Geoff.

Sounds like it needs a recap. The old ones are probably getting tired.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Sounds like it needs a recap. The old ones are probably getting tired.
    +1
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm keith.

havent the foggiest about electronics and wouldnt have a clue what to do. Been thnking about changing it anyway so maybe this is the prompt i need.

I'm Geoff.

If you liked the amp when you first had it, a recap (capacitor replacement) could well have it singing like new. There may be one or two AOS members who could help you with this. I'd suggest outlining the situation in the Blank Canvas area, you may get a good response.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm keith.

having just watched a quick youtube video on changing a capacitor, is it as simple as sourcing the same ones and soldering them in? If so, any good places to buy them? and also a soldering kit?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by skimminstones View Post
    having just watched a quick youtube video on changing a capacitor, is it as simple as sourcing the same ones and soldering them in? If so, any good places to buy them? and also a soldering kit?
    Ah Ha. Now you're getting the plan!

You need to look inside the amp and check access. Some you need to do a lot of dismantling, others have a single PCB that you can reach by removing top or bottom covers.

Then you need the right soldering iron (irons?). A small one for the fine work and a bigger one for meatier soldered joints (probably). Check the required temperature for the solder and ensure the soldering irons are up to it.

Practice soldering before embarking on such a project. It's not hard, but you need to get used to it. As you've seen there are tutorials online. Clean metal is the key!!

eBay should provide the caps.

I'm Grant.

A desoldering suction gun will help lots too. they aint dear tbh, or u can use braid. Maplins should be able to help you out re soldering gear. some decent kits there with different size tips for doing the job.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I prefer braid. Cheap'n easy. It works.

I'm keith.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40w-Solder...p2054897.l4275

Something like this ok for a soldering kit?

I'll open the amp tomorrow and have a look, if it doesn't look too difficult I may give it a go. I've been thinking about changing it and been looking at some roksan amps but even if I do decide to change it would be interesting to know how to work on an amp anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast