+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crackle on volume pot

I'm Nick.

Default Crackle on volume pot

I have just, as in today, received my Audio Analogue Puccini SE - an ebay purchase. Sounds great but has a crackle when adjusting volume. the sound is fine when volume adjustment is completed. Any thoughts, perhaps a clean would sort it? If it is a little more serious, anyone recommend someone for a repair? Cheers.

Nick

I'm Geoff.

It's probably a bit of dust. Try working the control back and forth its full travel very quickly several times with the unit off. It may clear it.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andr'e.

I think they use a motorised Alps pot. If it were me i would not entertain sorting it, id just swap it out..I had a crackly pot on my A60 had it for years no matter what i do it always came back, cleared after 5 mins tho..

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Nick, personally I'd have a word with the ebay seller if this crackle was not mentioned on the listing

Whatever is causing it, it is still a fault with the amp, and the seller should have mentioned it in their listing as a fault

I know that some switch cleaning fluids may well fix it but any expense should lie with the seller... just my thoughts...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Andr'e.

Well at least get some dosh back those pots are about £30

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Well at least get some dosh back those pots are about £30
    Thank you, it was mentioned in the description, I bought in the full knowledge of this fault. I have been after one for a while to match my AA cd plyer, I have to say I am very happy with the sound, the crackle is mildly annoying at times.

I'm Grant.

deoxit may cure it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Graeme.

I think the Alps pots are sealed, which means you can't get the cleaner into where it needs to be. If you feel like rolling your sleeves up you could consider drilling a couple of small holes in the pot's plastic case and then squirting aerosol switch cleaner in through one of them. Servisol Super 10 is pretty good. In a perfect world you'd let it dry out afterwards but the very limited access might well delay or even prevent that. However while you might not be able to achieve perfect you may still end up with a great deal better than you have now. After a day or two's drying you could tape over the holes to keep dust out.

VB
    AmpRegen Ltd - Vintage Valve Amplifiers http://www.ampregen.com

I'm Geoff.

Good tip, but you have to be careful with Servisol. I've known it to dissolve some plastics.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

Hi
    This is very sad being a new product, its potentiometer whilst
    providing crackle is also nicely distorting your audio enjoyment
    as well, as audio wiping one surface on another is not how
    attenuation should occur,

Light dependant resistors that have no contact surfaces, and
    use light to alter volume are a much better choice.
    Here a potentiometer just alters DC current through the
    LDR's LED, the pot is not in the audio signal path.

Dare I say its a brighter idea.

Cheers / Chris

+ Reply to Thread