+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The End Is Near

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Even more so that model used Wharfdale based 8" Bass units.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/speakers/ca...kers/113109522
    If they use the Wharfedale RS8/DD, I would agree. I built my first pair of speakers using them: a 1.5cu ft distributed-port enclosure also designed by Wharfedale.
    Barry

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Ive been listerning to these amplifiers side by side for over a fortnight now. I just can't decide. The Trio is bright & i have to turn it up quite a bit for headphone listerning. the A&R sound clear but smoothe,no brightness at all.. drives the phones at lowish levels too. However i still have the Phono stage to rebuild in the Trio & it could do with some new PSU caps.

This system at the end of the day is about small no frills. Gone are the 10" open Reel machines. I was gonna use an Akai '4000' but decided to keep the Uher 'Variocord 263' what i love about these apart from Tank like construction is the heads are built into a block that just pulls away, no need to re align, you want a 2Trk block just slip off the 4trk slip on the 2trk & vice versa..

Im just in the middle of Modifying a Uher 'Royal De-Lux' foot assembly that will give the machine a larger footprint & allow me to tilt the machine back at an angle..

Aye, Uher made some excellent machines. I had a Uher 4000 Report portable machine at one time.

You will be better off ditching the Akai 4000 (a much over-estimated machine in my opinion) and keeping the Uher.
    Barry

I'm Andr'e.

That's what i have done Barry.. However i wish id had kept my Tandberg '6000x' to do an A/B against the UHER..Not to worry tho..

I'm Adam.

A&R or the Trios? What happened to your beloved Ferrograph F307?!

Vote-wise, I'd go for the A&Rs, personally, as I've always had a soft spot for them. Mind you, given your admirable perfectionism, I'm surprised you've got a black amplifier with a teak tuner!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    A&R or the Trios? What happened to your beloved Ferrograph F307?!

Vote-wise, I'd go for the A&Rs, personally, as I've always had a soft spot for them. Mind you, given your admirable perfectionism, I'm surprised you've got a black amplifier with a teak tuner!
    Don't worry that was bugging me. I don't intend using the 'Tuner anyway so that will be out of the equation. The answer tho is i bought that 'A60' around 1982/83 from Moorgate Acoustics everything i had including the Heybrook 'HB-1' were black. The 'T21' was not available at the time, by the time i did buy the 'T21' my speakers had changed to Teak cabinets. I bought the 'T21' with Teak sleeve & was going to buy a matching sleeve for the amp from A&R but never got around to it..

My beloved 'F307' you mean all three of them. One went to a very well known Loudspeakers manufacturer MD. the other two i sold on E-Bay. I did not pick on the little chickens i just intended selling everything i had but like you had a soft spot for the 'A60'..I don't regret getting shut of everything with exception to my mint Logic 'DM101'/Syrinx 'PU-2' However i love my Michell 'Focus One' dearly which was the keeper..

Thanks for the feedback everyone voting for the Trio 'KA2000A' but im afraid the 'A60' is the keeper.

However if anyone has a A&R 'A60AP' + 'SA60' id be interested in that.

I'm Adam.

My beloved 'F307' you mean all three of them. One went to a very well known Loudspeakers manufacturer MD.
    I bet I can guess who that was. He has designs on my ADC Accutrac 4000 as well...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234