+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using Stan's DAC in my studio: D/A converter comparison

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    How does your mixing desk compares sound wise against a preamp? Have you got one of them with all the bells and whistles like tone controls etc?

Stan
    I'm not sure what you're getting at here Stan. I was using the stereo line-level inputs of the mixing desk on channels without pre-amps.

This is the mixer I use.

Regards,

Simon.
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.
    System 3 (portable): Cayin N3
    My website: Foxysounds website
    My music: Foxysounds music

Thanks for the writeup Simon. I have found there is very little difference at all between different DACs using 16-bit audio, certainly the difference really is very significantly less than with changes in preamps, amps or especially speakers/headphones.

Did you use a 16-bit or 24-bit input to the DAC?

Matthew.

I'm Simon.

Hi Junglist,

Honestly I have no idea whether my audio card was sending 16 or 24 bit. I always work in 24bit but I suppose it's possible that it was getting truncated or dithered somewhere along the line. I'll have a look at the instruction manual for the Delta 1010 and see if it's possble to set the output bit rate.

I was surprised at the lack of difference because the TC-7520 made a significant difference in my hi-fi.

Simon.
    System 1: Marantz CD6000OSE, Beresford TC-7520, Marantz PM6010OSE, QED QNect II interconnect, Dual CS505 Mk3 turntable with Audiotechnica AT110E cartridge, Denon DRM-700A cassette deck, biwired B&W 685 S2 speakers on sand-filled Atacama SE24 supports.
    System 2: Marantz M-CR610, JPW Gold Monitors, Chord C-Screen speaker cables, NAS drive.

I'm Simon.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you all on this ...

It turns out that the digital output of the audio card I use matches the bitrate of the software that's driving it (in this case Cubase). In Cubase I always work at 24 bit but my comleted projects have a dither plugin on the output bus to dither down to 16 bit. The incomplete ones don't.

To cut a long story short I was listening with a mixture of 16 and 24 bit sources.

So, Stan, How much would it cost me for the Caiman upgrades for my TC-7520 (including fitting)?

Simon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12