+ Reply to Thread

Thread: At the risk of being accused of shilling

I'm John.

Default At the risk of being accused of shilling

I've recently bought a Harman Kardon HK760 amp and to say I'm disappointed with it is an understatement. The mid range seems 'locked in' and it's making my system sound dull and boring.
    I considered buying a graphic equaliser to level things out a bit but I've never really liked them tbh so out came the camera and pics were taken ready for Ebay at the weekend.

In the meantime I decided to have a bit play around and here's what happened.

Changed speaker cables from Van Damme Blue to Chord something or other…No real noticeable difference.
    Changed IC's between CDP & amp from Van Damme to Gotham….Made the sound worse, much worse.
    Tried a Chord Cobra 3….. Things improved slightly over the original Van Damme set up but still not great.

Oh well Ebay it is…..Wait, I remembered I had another set of IC's lurking at the very back of my hifi drawer.
    Yes, a pair of Silver High Breed's supplied by our very own 'Ice Hockey Boy'. Now I seem to remember Craig getting dogs abuse on another forum because he dared to say how good he thought these cables were but we are more gentlemanly than that…aren't we?

I whacked them in and OMG what a difference, my system is alive once more.

It's true to say that the SHB's have transformed my system and have allowed a stay of execution for the HK.
    I don't want to start another boring cable debate (there are people dying in the world) but to those who pilloried Craig…. oop yer LOL

I'm Grant.

you just never know what cable will work best in any system til you try them tbh. good to hear youve cracked it john
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Glad it has worked out for you John.

No, we wouldn't accuse you of 'shilling' - you have simply stated that these cables work well in your system; that is your opinion and you haven't claimed they will better any other cable in any other system. Cables are often system and listener dependent, so it is important, as you have done, to try these things out for oneself.
    Barry

I'm gone.

Is that the original, bright silver coloured sheath cable?

Yup, it's a bit bright and good for putting a bit of zip into a dull system!

I'm Geoff.

There are those who dismiss the idea of tuning system balance with choices of cables, but why not. Having a large selection of good interconnects and speaker cables which impart a varying characteristics to the sound, I've done this many times. It is not to suggest that the other parts of the system are inadequate, it's just getting the whole lot working together happily.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Gary.

Synergy synergy synergy...
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Synergy synergy synergy...
    Yes. Something that one has to learn how to achieve.

You can spend a fortune, but if the components are not happy together, you are knackered!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Being an old fart and computer illiterate I have to ask, what's shilling?

but nice to hear you've found something that releases a bit more from your system.

Enjoy your music

cheers Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by trio leo View Post
    Being an old fart and computer illiterate I have to ask, what's shilling?
    Half of two bob!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Half of two bob!
    I think you mean "half of a florin". The word shilling is still used as a colloquialism for local currency used in former British colonies (such as Tanzania).

Anyway to answer the question "what's shilling?", this might explain things: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/shill
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread