+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: does music sound better with the lights off????

I'm Sam.

Ah, the dead sound of snow - love it. Thinking about it makes me want to go skiing.

Yes, listening in the dark makes images appear from the music, normally the brain translating the sounds into real actions making those sounds, for me anyway. Pecussive sounds particularly stand out especially if your speakers are fast and sensitive so can portray impacts well.

I do like a soft glow though, like from some VU meters or a tuner dial. The blue LED trend kind of ruins that in my opinion - too sharp and distracting.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I bet you've still got a copy of 'Zero Time' by Tonto's Expanding Head Band and some Gong.
    Still got (and play) all of the above. Plus two lava lamps on a dimmer switch (if you turn them down just as the wax freezes in the "alien incursion" position they stay like that). Doesn't everyone?
    Oh, and a little circle of transparent yellow film stuck over a blue LED turns it into a gentle green LED! Or if I can get inside I replace with purple or pink LEDs and a dimmer resistor.
    ABD.

I'm Dick.

Absolutely love listening to music in the dark, it's all about visual stimuli the less you can see the more you can hear and enjoy.

I was sat up till 4am the other night with a bit of Pink Floyd rambling on about something

I'm Martin.

You go to people's houses these days and they are lit like operating theatres. What's that all about? Can't stand it myself, I like a low-level reflected light over in one corner, rest of room in semi-darkness. Unless I'm doing an appendectomy, that is...

Does music sound better? Objectively no, subjectively yes, Which is what it is all about I suppose.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You go to people's houses these days and they are lit like operating theatres. What's that all about? Can't stand it myself, I like a low-level reflected light over in one corner, rest of room in semi-darkness. Unless I'm doing an appendectomy, that is...
    Yep. Come to our house & you may find it's 1960's with modern touches. Colours are Deep Red & Orange, very warm feel. It's not Retro {A Word i hate} Retro is modern made to resemble Vintage, i use 100% original vintage fittings.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Yep. Come to our house & you may find it's 1960's with modern touches. Colours are Deep Red & Orange, very warm feel. It's not Retro {A Word i hate} Retro is modern made to resemble Vintage, i use 100% original vintage fittings.
    More of a Seventies man myself, tasteful Seventies, though. There is such a thing I did have a full 70's living room with orange walls and authentic brown velour modular furniture that you could set up in a big semi-circle. But I had to chuck the furniture as it went beyond repair and the orange walls got a bit much so I painted them white. Still got the ceramic-tile brown and orange coffee table though
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Andr'e.

Still in the middle of decorating but here complete with the wifes crap on the sideboard

I'm Martin.

That could just as easily be Seventies, except you would have to artex the white wall behind the sideboard for true authenticity

I want one of those old 'phones.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    More of a Seventies man myself, tasteful Seventies, though. There is such a thing
    Oh no there isn't!

Mind you, there were SOME compensations.
    ABD.

I'm Andr'e.

By 1972 the 70's were tripe

That is late 60's very early 70's period im doing..

The Phone is an original 1968 GPO '706'.
    The Old Hall candle lanterns are 1967-72.
    The Prova Shatterline Lamp is late 60's
    The Sails At Daybreak, W. Rutledge Print is around 1968
    The Side board is around 1969/70 G Plan 'Fresco'
    The Bowl is none descript but looks late 60's
    The Red glassware is not vintage but matches all the other Luminarc glassware i have..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123