+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New releases available on open-reel tape

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    No problem. I must admit that while I really like Tapeheads I don't follow many of the discussions on there just because there's only so much time in the day!

Low-print tape is formulated to minimise print-through, for archiving. 'Backed' tape is also designed to minimise print through by separating the adjacent recorded layers by a backing on the reverse side of the tape.

BTW... what's SSS ?
    SSS is Sticky Shed Syndrome when tape has been stored badly and has stuck to its self or sheds lots of particles....common with quite a few tape makes and periods of time when they were made. Lot of info about this on Tapeheads.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

There are many thousands of 1970's and 1980's master tapes forever unplayable now (I think). You have to bake them before playing, but whether they can be played again after this I don't know.. Mostly Ampex I understand.

the BASF back coated tapes I had, along with the Maxell's, TDK Audua's were ok and perfectly playable. I had to chuck the few Agfa's I had as they squealed through the guides and shedded all over the heads. Nothing important on them though...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nick.

Aha - yeah, I know about sticky shed syndrome, just didn't make the link with the acronym!

Ampex were particularly bad during the seventies, I've heard, but the tape manufacturers did get their act together in the latter part of that decade. My experience buying proper NOS from proper tape suppliers (rather than funny American estate-sale type sellers dealing in all sorts of other stuff) has been fine. I suspect many of the Tapeheads are chasing very old stock stuff (ie. 70's) for collectibility reasons. BASF / EMTC / Quantegy were producing tape right through into the late 90's and early 2000's and so NOS for them is not old at all, and good quantities are available that have been stored perfectly well by reputable suppliers.

Again, my experience of buying used tapes on eBay - I've bought old collectors tapes of stuff by a few bands I'm into - is that if they were recorded on decent tape at the time (TDK, Maxell) and taken care of, even used once tapes are free of 'SSS'. The only ones that have proven problematic are tapes from the 60's and 70's, that have clearly been played a lot or stored carelessly.

Anyway - this seller is worth checking out. He's very helpful, and his tapes and accessories are great, IMO:

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/fred-gewinnt

You want Tonbandmaterial-neu

You may find it better to try shorter lengths of tape (ie. 5" spools) before investing in full 10" reels. See how shorter lengths sound in your setup. And don't be afraid to try the Zonal stuff that's still in production.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Can't imagine paying $500 for any recording even/let alone, a tape copy (despite it being copied in real time). Tape may have the dynamic range but it is not a robust medium: it suffers from print through, oxide shedding, SSS (as has been mentioned), can stretch and even snap. I suspect that was one of the reasons why DAT failed to catch on - no matter how good the recording method is, you are still limited by the physical nature of the tape. No, I'll stick to vinyl and CDs.

Regarding print-through, I can't see the idea of not rewinding the tape to be of much help in this respect. Regardless of how the tape is spooled, most of the print-through will be masked by the intended signal or 'inside the music' as Beechy puts it. The only difference is that by not rewinding the tape, the print-through becomes an 'echo' not a 'pre-echo'.

SSS is a problem with several brands of tape. The worse are:

Agfa PEM 468/9, < 1990,
    Ampex 406/7, 456/7, 1970 - 1985 and later,
    Scotch 226/7, 806-808, any vintage.

Have no idea of the status of BASF or of 3M in this respect. Baking seems to work and is a temporary solution but repeated baking will take it's toll on the tape. It seems the Library of Congress are actively looking for a better (and permenant) solution to the problem.

By the way Beechy, how does IEC tape equalisation differ from CCIR?
    Last edited by Barry; 23-08-2009 at 21:45. Reason: Addition
    Barry

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    A very good point, Barry! I'd not bothered checking when the point came up earlier IEC (specifically IEC1) is CCIR. NAB (aka IEC2 while we're at it) is what's used in most consumer decks, if they're not switchable. A lot of pro-units can switch between the two.

From prior discussions I know that both our Nagra's are set up with CCIR EQ. CCIR is considered a superior standard to NAB.

Interesting article here: http://home.comcast.net/~mrltapes/equaliz.html
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    A very good point, Barry! I'd not bothered checking when the point came up earlier IEC (specifically IEC1) is CCIR. NAB (aka IEC2 while we're at it) is what's used in most consumer decks, if they're not switchable. A lot of pro-units can switch between the two.

From prior discussions I know that both our Nagra's are set up with CCIR EQ. CCIR is considered a superior standard to NAB.

Interesting article here: http://home.comcast.net/~mrltapes/equaliz.html
    Interesting link Nick.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Can't imagine paying $500 for any recording even/let alone, a tape copy (despite it being copied in real time). Tape may have the dynamic range but it is not a robust medium: it suffers from print through, oxide shedding, SSS (as has been mentioned), can stretch and even snap. I suspect that was one of the reasons why DAT failed to catch on - no matter how good the recording method is, you are still limited by the physical nature of the tape. No, I'll stick to vinyl and CDs.

Regarding print-through, I can't see the idea of not rewinding the tape to be of much help in this respect. Regardless of how the tape is spooled, most of the print-through will be masked by the intended signal or 'inside the music' as Beechy puts it. The only difference is that by not rewinding the tape, the print-through becomes an 'echo' not a 'pre-echo'.

SSS is a problem with several brands of tape. The worse are:

Agfa PEM 468/9, < 1990,
    Ampex 406/7, 456/7, 1970 - 1985 and later,
    Scotch 226/7, 806-808, any vintage.

Have no idea of the status of BASF or of 3M in this respect. Baking seems to work and is a temporary solution but repeated baking will take it's toll on the tape. It seems the Library of Congress are actively looking for a better (and permenant) solution to the problem.

I think its more accurate to say that you shouldn't be surprised if you have a problem with these makes and formulations.

I have picked up some of the above with no problems so far, the last two words should be noted, expect to have issues with these in the future. If you buy a nice metal reel and the tapes bad ....well as long as you didn't pay to much its best IMHO to view the purchase as being of the reel and not the tape. Metal 7/10.5 inch reels sell for between £8 to £15, more if they are rare. So don't get sucked into bidding a fortune assuming the tapes okay it may well be for the bin.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12