+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiophile output on Mac OSX

Thanks for the suggestion. Just did a comparison with cog as the player and exactly the same result interestingly, so I think jitter and error correction are ruled out.

I'm beginning to suspect that a volume control somewhere isn't entirely transparent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Nick.

If you got exactly the same result then you're right, not something temporal. I read somewhere that the Cog and iTunes volume controls were differently handled. You've got me stumped to be honest!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

What I've found with cog is that if you don't touch the volume control at all (ie leave it at the default of 3/4) you get exactly the same output as itunes on full volume (see previous attachments). This seems to tie in with earlier posts about cog being louder (if you increase the volume presumably).

I'll try different recording method tomorrow, maybe the recording software is having an effect.

I know the difference is only one least significant bit but it's not as good as using my CD player which doesn't alter the audio at all (I presume).
    Last edited by ultraviolet; 22-08-2009 at 21:59.

In fact theres an idea. If I record my cd player spdif out I should be able to compare that against the mac. Probably tomorrow as I've probably overdosed on geekiness for one day.

(wifes away for a couple of days so got no limiter on max geekiness factor at the mo)

I'm pleased to say that I think I can conclude all this waffling for the time being. Attached pic is recording of cd player output as compared to itunes output - identical. It seems that the recording software or core audio is adding a repeatable small gain correction to the incoming data.

So in conclusion Itunes is producing a bit perfect output (hooray) identical to my cd player output.

On the down side the mini is dual boot with windows and I've not been able to get foobar + asio4all to produce the same results. Output always defaults to 48 kHz and if I force it to 44.1 kHz in the sigmatel control panel then asio4all flags the soundcard as beyond logic. Looks like I'll have to stick with OSX for the time being. It's a pity I can't test my old PC to see if that was a bit perfect output but I've not got a coax to toslink adapter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ultraviolet; 23-08-2009 at 09:07. Reason: forgot flippin attachment again

I'm Nick.

Excellent, and very interesting - thanks for sharing your findings here!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Thanks. Back to reality now and just listening to some music...

Quote Originally Posted by sastusbulbas View Post
    Hello Rob,

Have you ripped standard CD as WAV at 16bit 48khz and compared this with AIFF at 16bit 48khz?

Steve
    There should be no difference in sound quality between FLAC, WAV, or AIFF since they are all lossless formats. I read up on this (can't remember where) when deciding which format to use for archiving. FLAC produces smaller files with no compression.

How to run Classic Mac OS on you computer? I have a PC and a Mac and I want to run the Classic Mac Operating System on one. I want to do it virtually, (running on a virtual machine). Can someone please help me 1. Download the OS, 2. Install it on the virtual PC and 3. Configure it. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast