+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiophile output on Mac OSX

Rob

I must intervene. I represent dCS and with the introduction of our new USB products we have been doing a lot of research into OS handling of sample rates.

Firstly, about Sample Rates...

Digital audio is represented by a set of samples. In a single track, each sample is the same size resolution (number of bits), and the same distance apart in time (sample rate). Hence, if a track is encoded at 16/44.1, this means for each sample encoded 16 bits are used to represent the amplitude (-32,768 to +32,767), and there are exactly 44,100 of these every second.

Owing to the fact that a PC may contain many tracks in many different sample rates, and more than one can potentially be played at one time, the OS must have a scheme to deal with this, which can involve sample rate conversion.

Rather than set your system to always spit out 24/96 (which will then use the internal rate converter of your PC or Mac) the goal should be to output bit perfect, transparent audio to your hifi components. This means if all of your material is ripped CD's at 16/44.1 then set your optimum Output settings in OSX are 16/44.1 as default.

Where this is tricky in Apple OSX is that OSX uses a “fixed” output sample rate (set by the Audio Midi panel in “Utilities”). The user sets this, and OSX resamples everything to match this rate.

Pros The digital out never changes rate, and if the rate is set to the same rate as the file being played back, and all enhancements/volume controls are disabled, the output is bit perfect.
    Cons If the user has multiple sample rates, he either has to change the output sample rate manually every time the source sample rate changes, or rely on the OSX rate converter.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    Rather than set your system to always spit out 24/96 (which will then use the internal rate converter of your PC or Mac) the goal should be to output bit perfect, transparent audio to your hifi components. This means if all of your material is ripped CD's at 16/44.1 then set your optimum Output settings in OSX are 16/44.1 as default.
    Hi Davo!

Thanks for your advice and you are quite right indeed, however this is what's known as pilot answering. If you read through every post on the thread you'll see that over the time period of the thread I've moved away from a 24bit output back to a 16bit output (for Redbook) as I found the effects of aliasing quite noticeable when I did more back-to-back listening comparisons. Now I use 16bit/44.1Khz output for anything ripped from Redbook (albeit ripped using 32bit Linear PCM and with my DAC auto-upsampling to 176.4Khz) and I use 24bit/96Khz output for playback of 96/24 master tracks downloaded from iTrax. The 96/24 masters are nothing short of breathtaking!

Ok, this means a lot of too-ing and fro-ing as far as Audio Midi set-up goes but the results are definitely worth it and as there's no alteration to the original word length or upsampling of a non-directly divisable frequency, there's no (discernable to my ears) aliasing.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Lee.

Filterlab, great post, but...

I don't see those options when I look at my Audio Midi Setup, I don't see anything for Built in output. Silly question time; Will I not see that until something didgital (DAC) is connected?

Thanks

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Webby,

Welcome to AOS

Unfortunately Rob (Fliterlab) has left us for the foreseeable future, so will unlikely reply to your question.

Beechy, perhaps you could answer this in Rob's absence, presuming of course that you understand the nature of the query?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Lee.

Hi Marco,

Thanks for that info. My first post but I've read most of this thread and the one about the new 7520, which is on my shortlist.

Webby

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one

Where are you from, mate? Could you do me a favour and pop into the Welcome area and briefly introduce yourself, what system you use, and your musical tastes?

It's part of the procedure for new members to be asked to do this - cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Lee.

Sure, no problem!

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Filterlab, great post, but...

I don't see those options when I look at my Audio Midi Setup, I don't see anything for Built in output. Silly question time; Will I not see that until something didgital (DAC) is connected?

Thanks
    You are correct you will not see these extra options until you connect an external DAC
    Sennheiser HD650: Beresford 7520: Squeezebox Classic: 24" Intel iMac

Kevin

I'm Lee.

Thanks lupo,

I'm now thinking about getting an Airport Express, however, I've read that it converts files to ALAC. Is there any point me ripping to AIFF if the express is going to do that?
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Thanks lupo,

I'm now thinking about getting an Airport Express, however, I've read that it converts files to ALAC. Is there any point me ripping to AIFF if the express is going to do that?
    I would agree with you there seems little point if Airport express does this.

As you can see by my signature I use a Squeezebox classic (which I think is excellent) to transfer music from my mac.

If you do get an Airport you could always rip a track in ALAC and AIFF and see if you notice a difference.
    Sennheiser HD650: Beresford 7520: Squeezebox Classic: 24" Intel iMac

Kevin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast