+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: electrons and infinity?

I'm michael.

Default electrons and infinity?

hi everyone,
    if electrons are infinity and the solar system around us is infinity and we live in infinity has anyone actually tried to sus this out with numbers? I know that digital uses binary code, but a series of 0's and 1's may seem simple to some, but..........

Lets start with time, 12 hours on a clock face, 12 months in a year. Man made time has 4 seasons of 3, horoscopes 3 seasons of 4 in a year.
    A pyramid has 4 sides of 3 triangles (visable), so this is the answer, it has to be the answer there is no other way round it as far as i am aware.

imagine you have a calculator, but all the numbers are missing apart from 3 & 4, you can make any number from zero to +infinity and from zero to -infinity. this is how its done ( remember you can use any mathematical symbol on the calculator so there can be more than one way to achieve the same result)

3-3= 0
    4-3= 1
    3+3-4= 2
    3 = 3
    4 = 4
    4+4-3= 5
    3+3= 6
    3+4= 7
    4+4= 8
    3+3+3= 9
    3+3+4= 10
    3+4+4= 11
    4+4+4= 12

you can change any of the mathematical symbols for the same answer. example 3x3=9 and so on.

HELP ALL I WANT IS A LOW JITTER SUPERCLOCK FOR MY DAC AND CD PLAYER

free to use for your own enjoyment, but remember who posted it lol

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by audioquiz View Post
    ... imagine you have a calculator, but all the numbers are missing apart from 3 & 4, you can make any number from zero to +infinity and from zero to -infinity ...
    [PEDANT]Strictly speaking you can't make any number. If you've only got the four most common operators (+, -, *, /) then you can only make any integer and a small subset of the rational numbers. You can't make any of the infinities I think. If you've got brackets then you can make all of the rationals and a subset of the infinities. But you can't make an irrational number like pi, for example.[/PEDANT]

VB
    Last edited by Valvebloke; 15-02-2015 at 19:47.
    AmpRegen Ltd - Vintage Valve Amplifiers http://www.ampregen.com

I'm michael.

try it give me a number? it could be pages and pages of calculations though

I'm Graeme.

OK. Pi is a number. Make pi for me.

Before you spend any time on this though you might want to check the second paragraph here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi - the one which begins "Being an irrational number, pi cannot be expressed exactly as a common fraction ...".

Actually I'd be more interested to hear how you plan to go about working this out. If it helps, the first 50 digits are 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 10 but the exact value of pi contains an infinite number of digits and there is no pattern within them. So when you say "it could be pages and pages of calculations" then I think it will actually be an infinite number of pages.

I can write a simple expression for pi:

pi = 4 x (1/1 - 1/3 + 1/5 - 1/7 + 1/9 ...)

and you could work out any of the terms within the brackets using your caluclator. But again the expression goes on for ever, so I don't see how it'll be much help when it comes to working out the number exactly. If you have a way though then I'd be really interested to hear it.

VB
    Last edited by Valvebloke; 15-02-2015 at 22:13.

I'm michael.

ok its a different set of mathematical values, but with out been to technical i look for simple answers. take a three sided triangle, each side equal and a square, how many triangles can you fit in to the triangle and how many squares can you fit in to the square? its infinite is'nt it? now try to work your question out using binary code. this is were you need to be a genius, but unfortunatly i'm not

I'm Nick.

take a three sided triangle
    I don't know of many other types :-)

I think this is what you are looking for

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfinite_number
    Nick.

I'm michael.

take a look at the periodic table of the elements and look at the numbers, they are all whole numbers, but simple numbers

I'm Nick.

They would be, given they are the number of protons an element contains in its atom.
    Nick.

I'm Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by audioquiz View Post
    take a look at the periodic table of the elements and look at the numbers, they are all whole numbers, but simple numbers.
    As Nick says, the atomic numbers are whole, and for a very obvious reason. But the atomic weights aren't. The atomic weight of copper is 63.55, approximately. This is because natural copper consists of a mix of different isotopes. You'll remember that from school chemistry.

I'd also argue that none of the numbers is simple (except, in the mathematical sense, that none of them is complex). Here is a list showing how every one of the atomic numbers is distinctive and interesting http://www2.stetson.edu/~efriedma/numbers.html.

VB

I'm michael.

hey, how clever 3 is the spatial number we live in, i got chatting to an electric & electronic teacher and he told me that TESLA said you needed three numbers for electricity. ( 2 3 and 4 ) I said thats wrong cos you only need two, he asked me why. So i said you already have number two with 3 and 4, he asked how i worked that out so i said 3+3-4= 2. So why complicate things with an extra number.

thats the beauty of science, many different ways

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast