+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad Question?

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I only said 'by comparison'. the Quad ESLs are world class, the 303 a good power amp by any standards, the 33 ... well the years haven't been quite so kind.

I have owned at least a couple of them BTW!

The 34 is a considerable step-up in quality.
    Well, I realise that this goes against the usual mantra but......I have the 57s, the 33 and 34. Todays testing showed that the differences are subtle at best and depend on mood at worst. I was listening to both preamps on phone, the Quads and on some big old box thingies. Yes I prefer the 34 but only just.

As far as the important stuff is concerned i.e. the way it looks, the 33 is the best looking preamp ever made. A night and day difference over the opposition one might say

I'm Andr'e.

A re-cap & PSU upgrade to the '33' i believe it has the edge.. Deffo the greatest ever looking pre

I'm Steve.

Quad 33 eh! more a 44 lover myself.

I'm Steve.

Mmm, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In much the same way as say a Rover 2000 V8 or a lava lamp. Over the years i must have heard quite a few Quad amplifiers. Most of them sounding a little on the safe side but ultimately pretty good. Adding power supplies and new components can breathe new life into them in much the same way as the now venerable Technics SL1210. I personally see the Quad 33 as the Morris Minor of pre amps and pimping it to sound better can only be a good thing. The problem is that you can get into the "Triggers's new broom" scenario were he once said that he had the same broom for over twenty years though it had it's head replaced numerous times and umpteen new shafts. Personally i think it's a great thing to do to ressurect vintage equipment building on their appearance and style though authenticity has to give way to common sense. Their original sonic signature resigned to history, how many of us possess the ability of hearing them the way that they were when they were first built let alone the decay brought about by years of heat, cold, moisture and vibration. I've always thought that Quad excelled at building power amps though despite their cute looks could never match that skill when it came to pre amps. As forest Gump says, "That's all i gots to say about that".
    Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    A re-cap & PSU upgrade to the '33' i believe it has the edge.. Deffo the greatest ever looking pre

I'm Geoff.

What's a Rover 2000 V8? They never made one.

The 2000 stands for the engine size. The V8 was the 3500. I had the 3500S many years ago (and a 3.5 P5 Coupe). Didn't reckon much on them.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Mmm, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In much the same way as say a Rover 2000 V8 or a lava lamp. Over the years i must have heard quite a few Quad amplifiers. Most of them sounding a little on the safe side but ultimately pretty good. Adding power supplies and new components can breathe new life into them in much the same way as the now venerable Technics SL1210. I personally see the Quad 33 as the Morris Minor of pre amps and pimping it to sound better can only be a good thing. The problem is that you can get into the "Triggers's new broom" scenario were he once said that he had the same broom for over twenty years though it had it's head replaced numerous times and umpteen new shafts. Personally i think it's a great thing to do to ressurect vintage equipment building on their appearance and style though authenticity has to give way to common sense. Their original sonic signature resigned to history, how many of us possess the ability of hearing them the way that they were when they were first built let alone the decay brought about by years of heat, cold, moisture and vibration. I've always thought that Quad excelled at building power amps though despite their cute looks could never match that skill when it came to pre amps. As forest Gump says, "That's all i gots to say about that".
    Haha, I've been thinking of getting a decal for my techie made in the same font saying 'Trigger's Broom'
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

The 2000 stands for the engine size. The V8 was the 3500. I had the 3500S many years ago (and a 3.5 P5 Coupe). Didn't reckon much on them.
    Great cars those 'P6' Last proper Rover imho..

I'm Nodrog.

I think it would be best to just say that many of us like different sounds and stop writing off quality gear as old hat or pipe and slippers. I really hate a lot of 'modern' hi-fi as its just too in yer face and insistent for me. Quad stuff and its ilk sound just right to me, I like subtlety and tonal accuracy.

Suggesting that the 33 is not worth bothering with is total nonsense as far as I'm concerned. The only way to choose equipment is to listen to it. OK some people read the forums to get some sort of guidance but it has its dangers because a lot of opinions are based on urban myths and not personal experience. How can it be. No-one can possibly have hear the vast numbers of amps etc out there. The whole flat earth thing showed how a few opinions can sway a generation of listeners.

I've been listening to hi-fi for over 50 years and have done the whole range from cheap crap to stupidly expensive. However, that gives me no right to offer guidance for someone else's ears.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

You nearly had me fooled. But I do remember the 2000 V8 just about.
    http://www.tradeuniquecars.com.au/bu...-buyers-guide/

I'm Clive.

To answer the OP's original question (which, surprisingly no one else has mentioned), the Quad 33 Preamp does have a balance control. It is a sliding pot which from memory is below the volume control on the left hand facing side.

Clive
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast