+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: WAF Factor (again)

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexxus View Post
    'Course not, but that goes for a lot of stuff being discussed on fora, innit?

Truth is, if you don't get along with the missus in what concerns hi-fi, a bit of banter on a forum won't solve the problem, but having a moan sometimes makes people feel better, nothing wrong with that, is it?

Far as I'm concerned, if I don't get silly with things (which I don't, mainly because I like to think of myself as a considerate person so I don't take into account my wishes only) there's absolutely no problem. She doesn't want to know what I'm spending on hi-fi, which suits me just fine, but then again I'm not leaving the bills unpaid to get myself the latest cryo mains plug.

It's all about balance, methinks. But you can't have balance if you're not prepared to think about the person next to you. You can't destroy the look of the living room with some fugly equipment (and I have seen some pig ugly stuff out there) just because there's some elusive degree of improvement to your audition and not care about anything else than your satisfaction with that extra increment of joy it brings you.

As has been said, there are solutions. There's so much good stuff out there you don't absolutely have to pick the shittiest looking of them all just to show who's wearing the trousers, I don't think. Now, if your other half turns her nose up at the simple mention of any thing hi-fi, that's different, but if you only discovered that now, then you've got a potentially bigger problem on your hands than just the home improvement and design...
    Nice post, Eddie. I agree fully!

It's just that the thread title contains the word "again"... we've done this to death already!

This thread seem to be designed to do nothing other than 'stir it' if you see what I mean?
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Steve.

Look ...OK my wife may wear the trousers in our house...but I fookin iron them.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

My wife would let me have pretty much whatever I wanted in the living room, but, at the end of the day, no-compromise hi-fi is a secondary consideration to real-life - I'm lucky enough that I could turn a spare room into a listening room - but would I want to spend hours away from my wife & daughter? Absolutely not! (Maybe in another couple of years I'll need a man-cave!)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Haha, Steve, nice one!

Dave,

We, or at least I, are not discoursing about guys moaning about what their wives will or will not let them have, although I have no recollection on this forum of any members posting in this manner. We are discoursing about partnership compromise on aspects of hi-fi kit placement in a living room - the two subjects are poles apart - get back on topic.
    The two are intrinsically related, old chap, hence why I brought it up. The subject is 'WAF' (Wife Acceptability Factor) and the undisputable fact is that some guys moan about what their wives will accept (or not) with regards to hi-fi!

With regards to hitting a raw nerve, a bit of self inspection might be in order - "Methinks he doth protest too much" springs immediately to mind.
    Not at all – I am very content with my married relationship, thanks. The reason I’m participating in this discussion is to try and coax those out of the woodwork whose married relationships resemble what I’ve described, with regards to housing the hi-fi system, and to ask them why they put up with it... What perplexes me most is the apparently accepted notion (by some) that the woman should have sole say (or more say) as to what is put in the living room of the jointly-owned marital home

To that I say bullshit!

Marco.

P.S If you want an unbiased opinion of what my wife is like (regarding the hi-fi situation) ask Steve Toy or the other people on this forum who've met her. Incidentally, she's been reading every word of this as I've been typing it - I kid you not!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    It's just that the thread title contains the word "again"... we've done this to death already!

This thread seem to be designed to do nothing other than 'stir it' if you see what I mean?
    Yeah, but I didn't see the other ones. Oh wait, this could be a trap for non-suspecting gullible citizen such as myself. Oh, my God, what did I let myself into
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve W
    Good one, Steve, nearly fell off my chair
    Eddie

Spendor S5e
    AVI LSI
    Musical Fidelity A5 CDP
    B-DAC 7520

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Alex,

I'm lucky enough that I could turn a spare room into a listening room - but would I want to spend hours away from my wife & daughter? Absolutely not!
    I completely agree - it would be weird and unnatural to do so.

I also have a dedicated music room, *but* quite often my wife joins me and we both listen to music together whilst enjoying a nice bottle of wine or three

No way do I lock myself away in a darkened room like some sort of recluse!

Besides, I have my little 'pets' to attend to in there behind my 'secret door', haha. Daddy's coming my lovelies.......

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I have my little 'pets' to attend to in there behind my 'secret door', haha. Daddy's coming my lovelies.......
    be afraid, be very afraid!

Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Imjustsurviving.

Perhaps some or all of us are guilty of our little secrets in the telling the wife that it only cost £300 instead of the real price of £500 and what a bargain it was at that price, honesty prevails in the end as the words SEX BAN come to the fore when you get found out , i now always try to involve my wife and even my daughters in the pursuit of HiFi nervana as you all know the female of the species always has the better and more disserning ear for sound quility, fact i'm afraid
    This thread could go on forever about the virtues and dissavantages of having a spouse, WAF is here to stay so we must deal with it as we can

I to have the wife looking over my shoulder as i write this Ah it's so sweet.

Marco i think we were seperated at birth as it seems we share to much in common and i lived in Wales for a while

If this dosn't make sense the red wine is taking over

I wish i was good at English as others hers seem to be very articulate
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

I'm joe.

I think it's children (or lack of same) that make the difference, both in terms of how much spare cash there is and how much room there is, rather than bossy wives. The only person i know of with speakers built in the ceiling is Marco!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast