+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Speed instability/platter wobble on 1210

I'm Jason.

Default Speed instability/platter wobble on 1210

Well, having sold my 1210 the new owner has contacted me to say he's noticed some speed instability and wobble on the platter. It's something that has happened in the sending (although I packed it to withstand a nuclear blast) but I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what might be causing it? He mentioned there's about 10mm of up-down play in the platter, not something I was aware of when it left.

Any thoughts? I'd like to try and sort him out without resorting to sending deck back/refunds etc.

Cheers,

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Kevin.

10mm up and down?

It sounds like the platter isn't seated on the taper of the bearing properly to me, and is sat slightly lopsided.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    10mm up and down?

It sounds like the platter isn't seated on the taper of the bearing properly to me, and is sat slightly lopsided.
    + 1

I assume you shipped it with the platter removed ? Otherwise damage is possible.

Regards Neil

I'm Andrei.

Not 1.0 mm up/down play? Actually even 1.0 mm vertical movement seems impossible, gravity! Maybe the 'play' is on the side of the platter which would suggest that the bearing is not vertical. That will be easy to diagnose. Ask for a pic of two as well, that may shed some light.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Andrew.

There is a video on YT about this and apparently the screws that hold the bearing in place could have come loose. Check all 3 under the platter.

Could be what it is.

My System:

Turntable - Linn Sondek LP12, Kore, Lingo 4, Roksan NIMA, Lyra Delos Cartridge, Roksan HDC-03 arm lead, Trampolin 2 base, Tiger Paw Vulcan, Denon DCD-A110 Cd player, Tag Mclaren DAC20 Digital to Analogue Converter, SPM Interconnects, Nordost Red Dawn Leif Speaker cable, Spendor S3/5R2 Target R1 speaker Stands, Atacama ECO 60/40 hifi racks, Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones

+ Reply to Thread