+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Bristol Hifi Show

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I'm on a phone so briefly - Kev has them at the moment. Kev really likes them but I prefer the ones he owns by a margin. Just way more dynamic but Kevin likes the added refinement and detail they offer. You know what I like Jerry and a fast, dynamic ballsy sound is not what those Es offer.

I could say more but I am just really pleased I heard them purely for interest's sake.

The best I have heard his system sound is with the pair he owns on the end of my 211s. Dynamic, room filling and awesome IMHO but I am biased there
    Urk. Nuff said.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Plenty of assorted accessories and music on offer too although the price of LPs seems to be creeping up every year and merely sticking a label on an lp which reads "Audiophile Pressing" and charging over £45 for it is a bit of a joke and will put many off even getting back into vinyl. Come on guys, less greed where LPs are concerned?
    And the rest Paul ... there were audiophool pressings for over £100 ... I just don't see how any bit of vinyl is worth that, unless it was Paul McCartney's personal copy of AbbeyRoad and destined for Sotherbys some day. I'd rather have the CD at that price. Many of the vinyl vendors were totally taking the piss, the trouble is having a turntable has suddenly become a trendy rich people signifier and such people don't seem to have a problem with dropping this sort of cash on vinyl. It's now 'luxury' and as with all things 'luxury' there's a more-money-than-sense premium attached.

I did leave with (of all things) some Naim Jazz records all of which were priced reasonably sensibly, much as I think their amplifiers are the spawn of Satan.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Is your suggestion that we should not make purchases from Amazon as they seem to use a very suspect accountancy method to avoid such tax. It seems to me that if they are not actually doing something illegal and our government has not as yet closed the loophole then if I as a customer can purchase cheaper than I will.
    As for Amazon, I nowdays mostly avoid them if I can buy elsewphere. The way they arrange their accounting affairs may be legal, but it's not moral, they have bullied their way to a stupidly low corporation tax arrangement in Luxembourg which enables them to avoid proper taxes in the main EU jurisdictions they sell in (UK, Germany, France, Italy), where they make their profits, and whose national infrastructure (such as working tax credits in the UK) that they exploit for their substantial operations. It may be permitted by Brussels, but consumers can vote with their wallets if they don't approve. I don't.

There are moves afoot to deal with this sort of aggressive tax avoidance at an EU level and I don't think it can come quick enough. (I don't use Starbucks for similar reasons).
    Last edited by montesquieu; 23-02-2015 at 23:28.

I'm Grant.

Juno Records are where I get most of mine tbh and all have been great and delivered v quickly.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    And the rest Paul ... there were audiophool pressings for over £100 ... I just don't see how any bit of vinyl is worth that, unless it was Paul McCartney's personal copy of AbbeyRoad and destined for Sotherbys some day. I'd rather have the CD at that price. Many of the vinyl vendors were totally taking the piss, the trouble having a turntable has suddenly become a trendy rich people signifier and such people don't seem to have a problem with dropping this sort of cash on vinyl. It's now 'luxury' and as with all things 'luxury' there's a premium attached.

I did leave with (of all things) some Naim Jazz records all of which were priced reasonably sensibly, much as I think their amplifiers are the spawn of Satan.

As for Amazon, I nowdays mostly avoid them if I can buy elsewphere. The way they arrange their accounting affairs may be legal, but it's not moral, they have bulled their way to a stupidly low corporation tax arrangement in Luxembourg which enables them to avoid proper taxes in the main EU jurisdictions they sell in (UK, Germany, France, Italy). It may be permitted by Brussels, but consumers can vote with their wallets if they don't approve. I don't.
    +1
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Rob.

Did anyone else like the Elac Wall mounted speakers?

I thought they sounded good, and were a great wife-friendly solution

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/news_de...3#.VOu2g5_RcUQ
    Rob.