+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bristol Hifi Show

I'm Paul.

Default Bristol Hifi Show

Starts next Friday (20th) and goes on through the weekend.

I'll be there along with Will from Radford Revival. Anyone else showing up?

I'm Adam.

I'll be there Friday and Saturday.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nope, Paul, much as I'd love to meet you (and Will again) and listen to your gear, and will do it soon, I won't be going. My issues with the Bristol show are as follows:

1) It's a more than decent trek from where I live, although do-able if I considered it was worth the effort. However, I don't because:

2) There isn't enough 'proper' 2-channel hi-fi demonstrated, certainly of the niche/bespoke (mainly analogue and valve) variety that interests me.

3) It's a TOTAL MARE to park within easy reach of the venue - and when you can, expensive!

4) It's too near in date to the Scalford Hall Wam show, which interests me rather more. Ditto with Cranage Hall in June, which is almost on my doorstep.

Anyway, I hope that Will and you (and all other AoS traders) have a great show and make lots of interesting and productive new contacts!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

Too far for me I think - expensive with petrol, parking, entry etc.
    Account Deleted

Precisely, and so I'd rather allocate the dosh for Scalford. Hope everyone who goes to Bristol has a good show, though!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Ditto, a tad too far for me too. Apart from that i feel that better such events are more interesting and a little easier to get to. The Wam show would interest if it wasn't for the fact that i am banned from the site and as a consequence wouldn't be welcome there. TBVH I have my own excellent hifi show every year albeit none trade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nope, Paul, much as I'd love to meet you (and Will again) and listen to your gear, and will do it soon, I won't be going. My issues with the Bristol show are as follows:

1) It's a more than decent trek from where I live, although do-able if I considered it was worth the effort. However, I don't because:

2) There isn't enough 'proper' 2-channel hi-fi demonstrated, certainly of the niche/bespoke (mainly analogue and valve) variety that interests me.

3) It's a TOTAL MARE to park within easy reach of the venue - and when you can, expensive!

4) It's too near in date to the Scalford Hall Wam show, which interests me rather more. Ditto with Cranage Hall in June, which is almost on my doorstep.

Anyway, I hope that Will and you (and all other AoS traders) have a great show and make lots of interesting and productive new contacts!

Marco.

I'm Paul.

It has one of the highest footfalls of all the UK shows and is a great place to see new gear (forget any meaningful listening sessions). There's a lot of 2 Ch shown Marco but granted, it's a long way for some people. I usually take the train down as it's an easy walk from the railway station so no parking headaches. For those driving some distance, you can always park at Bristol Parkway (park and ride) and get the train to Templemeads. Easier than crawling round the city looking for a multistorey.

Perhaps bump into you Friday Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Ditto, a tad too far for me too. Apart from that i feel that better such events are more interesting and a little easier to get to. The Wam show would interest if it wasn't for the fact that i am banned from the site and as a consequence wouldn't be welcome there. TBVH I have my own excellent hifi show every year albeit none trade.
    You been a bad boy then, Steve?

If that's the only thing stopping you, mate, I wouldn't let it worry you, as I've been banned from the Wam for years (long before AoS was born) and it hasn't stopped me exhibiting there four times and attending as a visitor, since the show's inception, or chatting/having a beer with many of the Wammers, including James himself.

Such things matter not a jot, when it comes to Scalford - and apart from anything else, how exactly are they going to recognise you? You ain't that 'famous'!

If you can make it, I'd thoroughly recommend that you go, as it's the most meaningful 'audio show' of any, for the genuine (non-trade) enthusiast.

Marco.
    Main System

Hi Paul,

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    It has one of the highest footfalls of all the UK shows and is a great place to see new gear (forget any meaningful listening sessions). There's a lot of 2 Ch shown Marco but granted, it's a long way for some people. I usually take the train down as it's an easy walk from the railway station so no parking headaches. For those driving some distance, you can always park at Bristol Parkway (park and ride) and get the train to Templemeads. Easier than crawling round the city looking for a multistorey.
    Good points about transport, especially the park and ride, and I'm sure that some folk will have noted that.

It's just a personal thing with me, but I dislike being at the beck and call of any form of public transport. I like to be able to arrive at and leave shows when I wish, and hate hanging around waiting for delayed trains, should that happen, so would always take the car. Also, I'm not sure how direct the train connections would be from Wrexham...

High footfall is not a selling point for me, as it simply means bigger crowds to manoeuvre around!

New gear is largely not of much interest to me, unless it's of the non-mainstream bespoke/analogue variety, preferably relating to turntables, valve amps and massive speakers with huge drive units [lol]. Last time I was at Bristol, there wasn't a lot of that there, unless it's changed.

TBH, my main motivation for going to shows these days is to meet up with fellow AOS-ers and/or get the opportunity to buy some new vinyl, from Diverse or Stamford

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Perhaps bump into you Friday Adam.
    Sounds like a plan. If you have trouble finding me I can often be found in my favourite room at the show with an experession of rapt concentration and delight on my face.

It's called the "bar" and is on the Terrace level...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast