+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning curve

I'm Michael.

Default Learning curve

I've been a happy Naim user for three decades but my musical tastes have veered so far towards solo piano and Blue Note jazz that I'm wondering if I should try a different approach to hifi.
    I've joined this and a couple of other forums to get an idea of what might float my boat in bringing about a more 3-d impression of music.
    Thanks for reading
    Mick

I'm inthescottishmafia.

For that type of music, single ended valves (with the right speakers) is hard to beat IMHO.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Grant.

welcome to AoS Michael. sure you will get plenty help in your quest.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Francois.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    For that type of music, single ended valves (with the right speakers) is hard to beat IMHO.
    +1

Welcome Mick,

Ali is absolutely right, and I would add that it will sound even better with a vinyl front end…
    I envy your journey of discovery!
    Francois, Bergerac, France
    Source component/s:
    Musical Fidelity M1 Dac, Allo Digi One, Sony SCD-XE800, AVID Ingenium Twin arm, Audio Note Arm One, Groovemaster II 12in, Audio Note IQ3 MM, Denon DL103R MC, Croft Basic 25, TQ Iridium Phonostage, Puresound T10 Stepup Transformer, Zavfino majestic tonearm cable
    Amplification:
    Audio Note OTO PP, Dussun V6i
    Loudspeakers:
    Triangle Comete ES, Klispch RP600M
    Cables/stands:
    Quadraspire, Belden 9497

I'm Andras.

Welcome on board.
    +1, you should try a nice SET with some efficient speakers
    Firstwatt J2, AN-J LX HE, Lampizator L4G5.

I'm Andrew.

Some nicely fettled tannoy monitor golds with a decent external cross over and a nice pair of set monoblocks will work very well for jazz. You may also want to try a Ortofon spu with a decent arm.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Hello from me too Mick. Welcome to AOS.

So you want a new approach to your Hi-Fi? I see the lads have been harping on about Single Ended Triodes. Well, that is one way to go, but there are so many options. I currently use Class A solid state as well as valves. I'd say bide your time, listen to opinions and try to hear as many types of equipment as you can.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoffrey.

Hello and welcome Mick.

Geoff.

I'm Michael.

Default some things won't change....

...namely the 3-way ARTs and my CDS3/XPS source. I also have an LP12/Aro/Troika but haven't bought a new record for 20 years (but had bought hundreds in the preceding 30 years).
    I've recently had a home demo of a Vitus RI-100 and that brought some of what I'm trying to achieve. I'm not really au fait with valves although did recently hear a well-off guy's man cave system which was Audio Research Ref3 pre and 210 mono blocks into speakers that cost more than my car. Great sound but the size (and price) of such units negates their consideration.
    Someone on another forum recommended I try Accuphase so a trip to Cheshire planned.
    I was also warned that Sudden Masterclass don't really come 'on song' until around 90 mins has elapsed. I've often finished listening by then.
    That's where I am so far. No rush, the Naim is really good stuff but just looking to do a bit better.
    Thanks for reading
    Mick

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Michael.

A change of direction? Well I love jazz, solo piano jazz (Theloneous Monk, Keith Jarrett etc.) as well a classical piano (Beethoven, Rachmaninov etc.). In fact I have a very broad taste in music, all of which is relayed to my satisfaction via a pair of Quad 57 electrostatic speakers powered by 25 watt class A monoblock amplifiers.

Horn speakers (for example Lowther), powered by SET amplifiers are very good for piano - but in my experience have limitations which I don't like, although the same could be equally said by others about Quad 57s.

The best advice I can give you is to suggest you visit as many audio dealers in your area armed with a few LPs of the music you like, and listen to some systems different to your own Naim based system. Take your time - don't let yourself get bamboozled by what the dealers say; make up your own mind. It often helps to have a partner to listen with you.

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

Regards
    Barry
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast