+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A preamp for montesquieu

I'm Will.

Default A preamp for montesquieu

I am in the process of building a prototype bespoke preamp for montesquieu, I thought people might be interested in seeing it unfold.

The preamp will be a hybrid valve / solid state design, using valves and MOSFETs. The FETs will be acting as voltage followers, but at the same time performing a bootstrapping function, allowing the valve itself to operate with lower distortion than it otherwise would (not that it would be particularly high in the first place).

Tom / montesquieu wanted to have a preamp that used 6SN7s, which as well as being aesthetically nice valves, are well known to be nicely linear and tend to produce remarkably little distortion when implemented correctly.

Here are some of the bits gathered so far. The mains transformer is bespoke for the project, the pot is a simple ALPS affair. The angled brackets you see are so that the valves can be mounted horizontally, 6SN7s would otherwise be too tall for the case.

Tom wanted a tape loop, so to avoid impedance issues I may implement a buffer using the venerable NE5532 opamp, possibly a somewhat contentious issue for a purist! In all honestly the distortion introduced by an opamp (especially the NE5532 which still remains a good performer even today), especially connected as a voltage follower, is so minuscule, it's simply not worth worrying about.

This of course brings about the argument that one could just as well use an opamp for the main gain section of the preamp, and not bother with the valve at all. This is entirely true, and from an engineering perspective makes absolute sense. From my perspective, it can be just a matter of enjoying the fact that the amplification is done by a valve, and as the colouration by either technology can be so low as to be irrelevant, it really can just be down to that alone. Tom's views may differ from that of course so hopefully he'll like the way it sounds

Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

montesquieu Guest

My prejudices say all-valve, but I trust Will's instincts as well as his technical expertise, so not going to presume to tell him how he should go about designing it (even if I had the language to, which I dont). It will be fascinating to hear how this works out. My suspicions are it will sound ... Like a Radford!

I'm Rob.

What no foo parts,such a cheapskate Tom

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    My prejudices say all-valve, but I trust Will's instincts as well as his technical expertise, so not going to presume to tell him how he should go about designing it (even if I had the language to, which I dont). It will be fascinating to hear how this works out. My suspicions are it will sound ... Like a Radford!
    Normally (without the tape loop) there will be one solid state component in the signal path, and MOSFETs behave in a way very reminiscent of high gain pentodes so you can pretend it's a plastic valve
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Richard.

Love the brackets. Every expense spared!
    ABD.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not much wrong with a NE5532 TBH. Not something I'd have wanted until recently myself, but since getting hold of a Tandberg R to R, it would be a necessity for me too now.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

Liking the approach Will, I will follow with interest.

How do you tell which has the left electrons and which has the right electrons with all white phono sockets

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Radford Revival View Post
    The angled brackets you see are so that the valves can be mounted horizontally, 6SN7s would otherwise be too tall for the case.
    But still visible?
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    But still visible?
    That's the only purpose of valves, isn't it?
    ABD.

I'm Kevin.

Not in my pre-amp.
    It has to be "little finger" safe. Anything that glows is a magnet.

I get the sonic properties of valves without the worry about burnt fingers.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast