+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Techie SL1210mk2 Arm Re-wire

I'm Chris.

Default Techie SL1210mk2 Arm Re-wire

Hi All,

In the midst of trying to sort a seperate annoying distortion problem (being discussed in another thread), i'm looking at possibly having to try swapping my stock techie arm for another stock techie arm i have in stock to try and isolate the problem to the arm (having ruled out everything else).

But, at the same time, the opportunity obviously then arises to re-wire the original stock tone-arm, whilst it's out of the deck. (seems sensible and something i'd been thinking about doing anyway tbh)

Now, I can't afford a new/replacement arm (I wish i could but..) having just splashed out on a new Firebottle MM+ from Alan (brilliant investment btw!) but can just about justify a re-wire kit for the stock arm (so budget around £100)

As far as i can see it there are two that fall into that category.

1. - http://www.mains-cables-r-us.co.uk/v...l12001210.html
    (from MCRU)

2. KAB rewire kit made up by KAB on request - https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

Any other options i'm missing or any thoughts on experience with any of the above?

The idea of one uninterrupted continuous length of cable from mounting collar to RCA plugs does appeal (so theory of the less connections to get in the way the better)

Any one better than the other? (he says lighting the blue touchpaper of debate...)

As ever, thanks in advance for people's thoughtful input.

Chris.

I'm Neal.

Hmmm I'd be inclined to put it towards a better arm, save up the rest and take it from there...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Hmmm I'd be inclined to put it towards a better arm, save up the rest and take it from there...
    Me too, shop smart and used you'll be surprised what you can get. £100 is a bigger start than you think

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I know where you're coming from, Neal (and ultimately a better arm would be best), but let's also respect Chris' budget. Furthermore, I can say from experience that the Technics arm is transformed with a rewire, as I had the KAB one done to the arm when I first got my Techy, along with the fluid-damping, and that made quite a difference!

Chris, you've also left out another option, and probably the one I'd recommend, simply because he's not only in the UK, but an absolute master at tweaking tonearms, and that's Johnnie, from Audio Origami. Send him your tonearm, and it'll come back sounding like you won't believe!

See here (Technics arms aren't listed, but I know he does them):http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/tone-arm-rewires/

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Darren.

when i was in the same predicament i called Jonnie at Audio Origami to talk about it.

i asked him wether i would be better off adding more cash and buying one of his AO modded rega arms and he said no, unless you can afford something much better just get the techie arm rewired and fettled. once the bearings are fettled it's a good arm.

that made me think there is more to the techie arm than meets the eye (i sold the whole thing and bought a techy with a jelco on as it goes....)

I'm Lynton.

You probably could't get better value for money if you are prepared to do it yourself than the new KAB Cu Litz wire. I really do like the high flexibility of it. Seeing that the arm is out anyway, a lot of the hassle of a rewire is already done providing you are comfortable with DIY. However, Audio Origami would be failsafe though more expensive.

I rewired my arm with Van den Hul MCS-150M (Silver, mono crystal) Tonearm Wire but it is not cheap, is stiffer and hence more fiddly to get right but it was a fantastic result. There have been 3 mods I've made that were each quite profound in improving my 1210. First and foremost will always be the Mike New bearing. However, the rewire also made a huge difference and together with adding a KAB damper, transformed the arm so much I haven't really considered a 'better' arm for years now.
    Lyn

+ Reply to Thread