+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My (oh so) Brief Journey Away from the 1200

I'm Tim.

Default My (oh so) Brief Journey Away from the 1200

I sold a Rega P2 back in 2008 and started down the 1200 path. I took the 1200 that I had and sent it off to KAB to rewire the tonearm and add the damping. After the 2009 Tone Audio review of the Sound HiFi version, I bit the bullet and outboarded the power supply and put an SME 309 arm on it. It became the foundation of the most musical set ups I have ever owned (which had Zu Soul Superflys and a Leben integrated). At the same time, I had a start up and funds became tight so my system stayed stable for four years. Last year, I sold the Zu's and got KEF LS50s (which I paired with a Zu sub). The Leben did not have enough power, so I brought in a Rogue Sphinx.

For some reason, that urge to try new things led me to thinking about swapping out the SME tonearm (it looks so space age!) for a Rega arm. I decided to try the RB808. I run a fairly heavy cartridge (the Zu 103), so I got the GrooveTracer heavy weight. I sold SME arm to fund this swap. It took a little to get the tonearm and when I got it the GrooveTracer did not fit on the 1200, so I ended up getting the rest of the Rega RP8 that someone had broken up. That was around 10 weeks ago.

Yesterday, a Jelco 750D finally arrived for the 1200, because I could never get the sound that I wanted from the Rega. Everything just sounded kind of dark and muddled, like there was a veil over the music. It always felt a little quirky, like it was never quite right even tweaking the placement of the RP8 and fooling around with loading on my phono preamp. I even got a cartridge that is supposed to be an ideal match (the Dynavector DV20X2-L).

It took me all of 10 minutes to get the Jelco arm mounted (I have it set up so that I can easily swap armboards). It took me 5 minutes to get my AT150MLX set up on one headshell and the Zu103 on another. And, it has been bliss since. I know that it should not sound as good as the Rega. And, part of me really wanted something different (for no good reason). But, it just does. I know I'm preaching to the choir. I guess I just put this out in case someone else gets the itch.

I kind of want my SME 309 back. And maybe that is what I do when I sell the Rega. But, the Jelco 750D is a great arm.

Anybody have any cartridges or headshells they are really liking on their 1200/750D these days?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by tjnindc View Post
    I sold a Rega P2 back in 2008 and started down the 1200 path. I took the 1200 that I had and sent it off to KAB to rewire the tonearm and add the damping. After the 2009 Tone Audio review of the Sound HiFi version, I bit the bullet and outboarded the power supply and put an SME 309 arm on it. It became the foundation of the most musical set ups I have ever owned (which had Zu Soul Superflys and a Leben integrated). At the same time, I had a start up and funds became tight so my system stayed stable for four years. Last year, I sold the Zu's and got KEF LS50s (which I paired with a Zu sub). The Leben did not have enough power, so I brought in a Rogue Sphinx.

For some reason, that urge to try new things led me to thinking about swapping out the SME tonearm (it looks so space age!) for a Rega arm. I decided to try the RB808. I run a fairly heavy cartridge (the Zu 103), so I got the GrooveTracer heavy weight. I sold SME arm to fund this swap. It took a little to get the tonearm and when I got it the GrooveTracer did not fit on the 1200, so I ended up getting the rest of the Rega RP8 that someone had broken up. That was around 10 weeks ago.

Yesterday, a Jelco 750D finally arrived for the 1200, because I could never get the sound that I wanted from the Rega. Everything just sounded kind of dark and muddled, like there was a veil over the music. It always felt a little quirky, like it was never quite right even tweaking the placement of the RP8 and fooling around with loading on my phono preamp. I even got a cartridge that is supposed to be an ideal match (the Dynavector DV20X2-L).

It took me all of 10 minutes to get the Jelco arm mounted (I have it set up so that I can easily swap armboards). It took me 5 minutes to get my AT150MLX set up on one headshell and the Zu103 on another. And, it has been bliss since. I know that it should not sound as good as the Rega. And, part of me really wanted something different (for no good reason). But, it just does. I know I'm preaching to the choir. I guess I just put this out in case someone else gets the itch.

I kind of want my SME 309 back. And maybe that is what I do when I sell the Rega. But, the Jelco 750D is a great arm.

Anybody have any cartridges or headshells they are really liking on their 1200/750D these days?
    Nice one, Glad it's coming together and looking good too. The Jelco is well respected round here and on the Techie. Not sure how deep into the Techie modding waters you want to go but just take your time and enjoy one upgrade at a time. Not only is it less hard on your pocket but it's great hearing and understanding what each change is bringing to the party - A way of really getting to know your deck and system then - Enjoy !

I'm John.

I have a Technics 1200/Jelco 750 combination and use a Goldring 2500....sounds good to me.

Nice to see someone playing Ryan Adams on their Techie.

Cheers
    John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Andrei.

Some interesting adventures there tjnindc! An arm upgrade is one of the more significant upgrades you can do and I am glad it has hit the spot. My three biggest improvements were arm, power supply, isonoe feet. Actually I am considering an upgrade to the Jelco Arm but it is proving difficult!
    In terms of Headshells, Oyaide are fine, but I suspect a combination of an ebony headshell and ebony mounting plate would have a benign sonic impact - they make musical instruments out the stuff after all.
    One question for you: How are you finding that Sphinx? I ask because I have had an Atlas Magnum in my system and found it very musical.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Tim.

A few things:

- I really like the Sphinx. In fact, right now, I have the techie running through the phono stage on it with the AT150MLX. The Zu103 needs my other phono preamp. I also have the Wyred4Sound mInt, but the Sphinx sounds bigger and is a lot more musical.

- I think that playing around with the headshell is a clear next step. Maybe I'll add another cartridge to the mix depending on what I do with the Rega. Who makes an ebony headshell? and what are the good places to look for them?

- I have a platter that Sean at Zu modded for me. He basically loaded the underside of the stock platter with a resin/epoxy that add a lot of mass. Has anyone had good success with other platters?

- I find the production quality on most of the Ryan Adams albums to be incredibly high and the music really engaging as a result. They seem to be good test albums to me as a result.

I'm Darren.

I use an add magnesium headshell and an at ART1 on my 1210/750d. Makes wonderful music

Next stop is either carbon fibre or ebony. Not sure which, but I rather like the Yamamoto African Blackwood at the mo ��

I'm keiron.

Quote Originally Posted by tjnindc View Post
    Yesterday, a Jelco 750D finally arrived for the 1200, because I could never get the sound that I wanted from the Rega.
    great to read that you are enjoying it

Can I be so cheeky as to ask where you got it from and how much you paid?

I've been thinking about a Jelco for some time, but I'm nervous about the fact I rarely hear the improvements other audiophiles do when making changes, so wonder whether it will really be a step up from my SME 3009 Series III.

(I also run a Shure M97XE cart which I gather is not an ideal match in terms of compliance).

I'm Tim.

I got it from the Affordable Audio guy on Audiogon. I think he is selling them for $550. It feels like a very very good deal at that price to me. I'm very happy with it.

I'm Geoff.

Hi, can you please add your name and a location to your profile. We operate the forum on a first name basis and we like to know which country and area you may be in. Thanks, Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tim.

Name and location added. System added, too.

Isonoe footers added to 1200 (which seem great). Rega about to be listed for sale.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast