+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CD Scratch Repair / Cleaner

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Jeweller's rouge... that's a great tip, I hadn't thought of that... thanks..

Brasso sounds a bit harsh for my precious cd's
    I sometimes wash CDs in a very weak detergent/warm water and once dry, give them a buff up using clear spray furniture polish that contains wax (put on a cloth first). The wax fills 'micro scratches' making the CD easier for the player to read without errors.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Thanks for all the tips, really appreciate it..
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Neil.

Brasso or T-Cut and 2x cotton balls, one to polish on and one to polish off. Works a treat and you won't damage your CDs. Focus on the damaged areas.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Brasso or T-Cut and 2x cotton balls, one to polish on and one to polish off. Works a treat and you won't damage your CDs. Focus on the damaged areas.
    yep thats how we did it...you can also use the wadding..best going from in to outer and back though and not round ways. new cds are not as heavily coated so best testing technique etc on old ones first.
    cd jukes can be very rough on cds so it was a method developed over time and it does work
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

+1

Used to use Brasso but switched to T-Cut a number of years ago, never fails (unless the aluminium layer is damaged). Around half the CDs I buy are second-hand and often scratched and need reviving. Cleaning solutions are only good for surface muck, if they are scratched you need to get rid of the scratch. Always work across the CD in straight lines and concentrate on the area marked, test frequently as you don't want to go too far. I then wash the CDs in mild washing up liquid and warm water to remove the build up of cleaner and polycarbonate. T-Cut will mark and discolour a perfect CD surface, but if it skips then it's no use anyway.

I have also used this method in the past when I still played CDs - rip it using EAC to a lossless file which has fantastic error correction, then burn the file back to a CDR for a skip free CD. I don't need to do that now as I never actually 'play' CDs, just rip them to files, but I always have a bottle of T-Cut handy after a visit to the charity shop.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Shaun.

If you take even a brand new CD and breathe on it so that it mists, you will notice a crazy pattern on the surface of the disc. If you then wash the disc in very hot water and detergent and dry with a piece of kitchen roll, you will notice when you breathe on it again that this crazy pattern has all gone. Nearly all of my CD's are washed this way when I buy them new. Does it change the sound of the music...? I don't know, try it...!

I'm Sam.

Take it to somewhere like Game (computer game store) who might have a professional polishing machine for CDs/DVDs/Blurays and of course games.. Their website is under maintance so here's the google cache'd site: GAME Disc Repair Service. There are other places I'm sure on the high street, some by post for cheaper.

Then take extra care of it for the future as there will limited amount of times the surface can be skimmed like that (which is what brasso will be doing too, but in a localised manner, not the whole surface). I'd hesitate if it was a very early CD from the 80s that was prone to the information surface coming off (the picture layer) though..

Seriously, I've seen other people's after such a service and they come back as if they were new - try THAT with vinyl! haha.

I'm Richard.

Duraglit

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by dowser View Post
    Duraglit
    Will try it out! Loads of great treatments for CD surfaces.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Richard.

I used to carry a wad with me when doing field service way, way back - amazing how many bought the durability of CD pitch and used to use the things as drinks coasters CD reads from inside out, so pretty easy to tell whether it's scratch related - if yes, always clean vertically from inside to outside (or visa-versa) - round and round has more risk if you are digging deep into the plastic. As above, label side scratches are normally terminal - but I had some success with silver foil tape, but mostly with Philips machines, unreliable on other mechs.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12