+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha NS1000M - Tweaks

I'm Ken.

Hi Mark

To be honest, they are sounding pretty good as they are, the new caps nocked off any rough edges in the sound and I am enjoying what they do.

So I want to keep these pretty much as standard, the only plans I have, is to do a little cosmetic work on some paint scrapes and build some stands.

Would you be interested in selling your original Yamaha logo stickers?

I'm Ken.

If you find them drop me a PM as I would be intrested in buying them, the replicas I have seen are all a lot thicker.

There is a guy selling originals in Australia as part of a set including the driver securing screws, but not come accross anything more local.

I'm Ken.

Default Update

I decided to replace the wiring inside the cabinets. I found many great reviews for the Belden 9497 (top picture) and it was used by Shindo Labs. Trouble is it is thin and only good for low powered valve amps into efficient speakers, it just wont handle larger current. I decided to make my own beefier version of this cable and purchased some 2.5mm square, marine, tinned, thin wall cable. I twisted this together using a cordless drill and as you can see from the two specs it is very similar, using similar diameter strands just more of them. I tried this out as a speaker cable running from the amp and it is very natural sounding with phenomenal bass, so I replaced the stock internal cables with this and while I was at it, bypassed the level controls and ran the cables along neater paths and not bunched together which could result in crosstalk.

I'm Geoff.

Hmm. I've got a couple of pairs of speakers I'll be rewiring soon. I was going to try Nordost Wyrewizard Spellbinder. I know some people don't like their cables, but I've used Nordost in the past and had decent results.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ken.

The beauty about this stuff is the wire is cheap at less than £1/m you need two pieces per run so just under £2/m, cheap enough to suck it and see. I purchased it off the Bay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2518728853...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Beldon 9497 wire has been used on some pretty expensive gear, (give it a google), Ongaku owners etc and Mr Kondo is rumered to have used it on his own system, the Japanese love it. Do what I did and try this DIY version between Amp and Speakers first, to get a taste of what it does. It looks puney even in my 2.5mm version but produces richer and deeper bass than all my 6mm cables, go figure? The Belden spec sheet is available on line and there is nothing remarkable about its construction, it isn't even OFC and just PVC insulation, so my clone should be pretty close in performance.

I might try making some 4mm square as my main speaker cable.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    ... even in my 2.5mm version but produces richer and deeper bass than all my 6mm cables, go figure?
    Go figure indeed.
    Are the 6mm cables you compared to moulded together or enclosed, as opposed to separate runs of the marine grade?

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    The beauty about this stuff is the wire is cheap at less than £1/m you need two pieces per run so just under £2/m, cheap enough to suck it and see. I purchased it off the Bay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2518728853...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Beldon 9497 wire has been used on some pretty expensive gear, (give it a google), Ongaku owners etc and Mr Kondo is rumered to have used it on his own system, the Japanese love it. Do what I did and try this DIY version between Amp and Speakers first, to get a taste of what it does. It looks puney even in my 2.5mm version but produces richer and deeper bass than all my 6mm cables, go figure? The Belden spec sheet is available on line and there is nothing remarkable about its construction, it isn't even OFC and just PVC insulation, so my clone should be pretty close in performance.

I might try making some 4mm square as my main speaker cable.
    Interesting Ken your findings on the 2.5mm cable. My speaker internal wiring is even thinner stuff but I know someone who has 'experimented' with this for thicker stuff and it ruined the SQ!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, tried some thick cable on the OB's, ruined the bass, turned all loose and wooley.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Trying some of this at the moment, sounds good-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2910587407...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

Firebottle - The 6mm was Van Damme Blue which is in a jacket with only a slight twist and also the Van Damme Hifi which is shot gun style but with a 10mm spacing. The 2.5mm I made up as a twisted pair.

Ali - I had my eye on that add (12 AWG = 3.3mm[ ]) but he only has one legnth left and I needed two pieces - he bought it as a job lot, ex military.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast