+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha NS1000M - Tweaks

I'm Simon.

Ribbons all the way...
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Geoff.

Why? The NS1000 tweeter extends up to around 40kHz.

What impedance are the ribbons and what filter are you using?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Ken.

The tweeter is claimed to go up to 40kHz but at what levels?
    Troels Gravesen and others have had consistent measurements, showing it drop off a cliff at 15kHz with no significant output above this.
    I will get round to measuring it myself at some point, but I have no reason to doubt the results which were identical for both tweeters averaged over 10 readings and measured on axis. Yamaha's own plot shows it dropping off rapidly from about 13kHz, being 10dB down by 20kHz, from its average of 93dB. (L-Pad set to normal)

That looks like a Raal Ribbon Simon?
    If its like the Fountek ribbons they are listed as nominally 8ohm, but have an impedance matching transformer built in. Because of this the NeoX3.0 weighs over a kilo.

My efforts, if I get that far, will be in an active set up, so individual driver impedance is not critical, as long as its not extreme for the amps.

I read your nice build thread a long time back Simon, but can't remember whether you are passive or active? and I could have sworn they were gloss Black?
    Last edited by Qwin; 15-01-2017 at 11:10.

I'm Deleted.

You are confusing Simon's NS-1000M's with mine - mine are gloss black and active in the bass but passive in the mid and treble. Simon's are entirely passive.
    Account Deleted

I'm Ken.

That's what I'm thinking of Mark, I take it you made the badges and mid/tweeter surrounds for Simon with your Laser facilities as it was those similarities that had me confused, nice work by the way.

I'm Deleted.

Many thanks - yes, I made those parts for Si.
    Account Deleted

I'm Simon.

yeh the yammies drop off a cliff at 15k they're more than 10db down by 20k. The raals go way out past that, I run them slightly raised. Impedance wise they are very similar to the yam tweeter, so much so I use almost identical cap and coil values. Good look with the founteks, they have a good rep.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Ken.

The RAAL's have a very good reputation, I've seen a couple of review comparisons between RAAL/Fountek and the consensus seems to be that the RAAL is better at the lower end, smoother more natural, so first choice in a 2-way. There is less difference higher up the range, so if you are implementing in a 3-way and crossing higher up, its harder to distinguish between them. The RAAL being x3 or more in price makes the Fountek look attractive for a 3-way, hence my interest.

The Fountek can be crossed from 2kHz 2nd order. The Yamaha mid dome crosses over at 6kHz as standard.
    Realistically, I could experiment crossing the pair anywhere between 3k and 6k and try with different slopes as well.
    Looking forward to that.

I'm Mike.

How are things progressing Ken? Looking forward to some updates!

I'm Ken.

Hi Mike - To be honest, the Yamaha's have taken a back seat and I've done nothing at all to them recently.

I'm on a bit of a learning curve at present, trying various things, which may/may not be applied to the Yamaha's.

Just displayed a lash up at the hifiwigwam show which was a semi active set up (analogue) and borrowed the Yamaha bass drivers. It worked quite well considering the terrible live room.

I am building some 55L cabinets next week to try some 12" Scanspeak woofers.

By the end of next month, I hope to have a miniDSP 4x10HD to help with the development process.

I will of course be trying this DSP unit with the Yamaha's to see how it compares to my efforts with ASP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast