+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha NS1000M - Tweaks

I'm Ken.

Mega power is ok as long as you don't turn the volume too high, the Yammies are only rated (conservatively) at 100w as a three driver system. I once saw a DJ connect the bass channel to a tweeter on the PA system by mistake, it exploded across the room when the music kicked in.

Yes, use the most powerful amp for the bass drivers and you could use the power amp ellement from the Sansui's, they don't need be the same power wise, I just prefer identical amps, remember amp sensitivity is also going to dictate how loud it sounds. Different amps also sound well, different, I just think it is easier to dovetail drivers and crossover filter elements when the gain slope, tonality and sensitivity of all the amp channels are the same. There are however, lots of people who have used different size/make of amps that have been successful, so this is just my own personnel preference.

You are trying to create the right balance, a 3000w bass amp and a 20w mid would not work as the mid amp would be too low on output, so the bass would then need the trim pot to turn it down. As a very rough guide, the bass will use about twice the power of the Mid and the tweeter a little less, but it depends on driver impedance etc so this is only the case when all the drivers are the same impedance, like they are on the NS-1000.

I'm Simon.

To be honest I was thinking of big dick multi hundred watters, not flea powered versions.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Not so much the higher frequencies I found, I loved my mini-t for the treble and mid but there's something about how it did bass just didn't sit right with me when compared to a SS amp with a nice big torroidal.
    The class "D" do bass very well, and a lot of folks share your view that class "T" do mids and highs well. I have seen more than one person try and combine the two, for the best of both. Trouble is, the mini-t hasn't enough umph for the mids, to allow a bass amp of sufficient power to be used and get the most out of the 12" drivers. IMHO.

I seriously considered 2 mini-t and a couple of hypex modules for the six channels. For the reason I gave and because of the different power requirements making it difficult to fit it all in one box, I backed away.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    big dick
    Not heard of that make before

King Dick - yes.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Mega power is ok as long as you don't turn the volume too high, the Yammies are only rated (conservatively) at 100w as a three driver system. I once saw a DJ connect the bass channel to a tweeter on the PA system by mistake, it exploded across the room when the music kicked in.

Yes, use the most powerful amp for the bass drivers and you could use the power amp ellement from the Sansui's, they don't need be the same power wise, I just prefer identical amps, remember amp sensitivity is also going to dictate how loud it sounds. Different amps also sound well, different, I just think it is easier to dovetail drivers and crossover filter elements when the gain slope, tonality and sensitivity of all the amp channels are the same. There are however, lots of people who have used different size/make of amps that have been successful, so this is just my own personnel preference.

You are trying to create the right balance, a 3000w bass amp and a 20w mid would not work as the mid amp would be too low on output, so the bass would then need the trim pot to turn it down. As a very rough guide, the bass will use about twice the power of the Mid and the tweeter a little less, but it depends on driver impedance etc so this is only the case when all the drivers are the same impedance, like they are on the NS-1000.

Can't speak for the Yams, but a 3000w amp on the bass and a 20w class A amp for the mid and top works well for me. The bass amp does have volume pots though, I don't run it full tilt.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Simon.

They sounded good with 200 watt of Krell KSA200 up em.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Ken.

Really Ali, I wouldn't have thought the 20w mids was enough to get to fairly loud levels.
    Do you get to reasonable levels with this set up?

Mind you the NS-1000m are fairly sensitive at 90dB/1W/1M.

Damn it you just got me interested in the Mini-T amps again.

I did like what it did when Rich brought his to NEBO, like he stated, just seemed to lack the grunt for the bass as the wick was turned up. Other than that, it powered my Celestion 66's quite well.

Mmmmmm two mini-t plus power suplies and 2 Hypex modules plus SMTP and the crossover boards, can I fit that into one box?

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Really Ali, I wouldn't have thought the 20w mids was enough to get to fairly loud levels.
    Do you get to reasonable levels with this set up?

Mind you the NS-1000m are fairly sensitive at 90dB/1W/1M.

Damn it you just got me interested in the Mini-T amps again.

I did like what it did when Rich brought his to NEBO, like he stated, just seemed to lack the grunt for the bass as the wick was turned up. Other than that, it powered my Celestion 66's quite well.

Mmmmmm two mini-t plus power suplies and 2 Hypex modules plus SMTP and the crossover boards, can I fit that into one box?

Ken are u thinking of using two Orb Mini T amps to power the mids and tweeters ie
    http://www.amazon.com/Orb-Audio-Mini.../dp/B00GOK38OU
    Class D, 50 wpc
    3.5 mm jack inputs
    Seriously?
    and the bass handled by a more powerful class D amp ?

Ali, are u using the i NUKE NU 3000 Behringer amp ?
    I believe there are the 1000, 3000 and 6000 watt models in the i NUKE range
    Last edited by drSM; 08-02-2016 at 00:54. Reason: add
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes Inuke 3000.

Ken, yes can get high levels, sensitivity is around 94db.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

Shahrin - I was actually thinking about the Amptastic mini-1 "T" amp but after re checking the spec on their web site, I see it is <20w RMS max @ 4 ohm.
    Having heard it, I do like what this amp does with mid/high frequencies, just runs out of steam with the bass.
    This may not be enough into 8ohms.

I am also considering the LM3886 (Gainclone) amps. The LM3886 is the warmest presentation of mids and highs in this series of chip amps (so folks say) I was particularly interested in this LM3886SMPS module by connexelectronic : http://connexelectronic.com/product_...fkpf668rttleh4

Its a combined stereo amp and switch mode power supply on one 100mm square PCB.
    It puts out around 40w/8ohm.

Like the "T" amps it lacks the ability to drive bass to good levels, so maybe a couple of these LM3886 modules paired with 2 Hypex for bass? The Hypex seems universally accepted as being excellent for bass duties. I have heard the terms sterile, neutral, bright, transparent, dry and dull applied to the mid/high end, but no one seems to really rave about the mids or top end, the focus is always on the bass. The reverse situation to the LM3886, so they might make a good pairing.

At the very keen price, I may just knock up a stereo amp with one of these LM3886SMPS modules and give it a listen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast