+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha NS1000M - Tweaks

I'm Mika.

The modules were the UcD400, no more information available as the units were loaner from one local builder. Usually he goes for the best quality PSU that he can get but cannot confirm this at least for now. Have also tried Bel Canto smaller monos and the Apoll M-1.0 mono blocks with extra PSU having the B&O ICEpower modules and those have the same issues noted.

My opinion is that the be-drivers are at passive configuration very easily driven badly and leading to sharp, clinical and harsh sound. This has been true for all class D amps I have tried with these speakers. In fact, there are only few transistor amps that would use with my NS-1000M's for when it comes to listening music. The same applies with the cap updated XOs. About the active setup I have no experience
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Ken.

Your experience with the passive crossover mirrors my own.
    I have found a richer mid range through using an analogue active crossover, so the drivers are not holding things back, its the very basic passive crossover and I suspect the type of caps they used, which were better than Lytics but not up to modern film cap standards.

As for the UcD400 you mention, whether it is the ST version built for economy, or the HG version built for performance would make all the difference. If it was using the optional HxR regulators for the opamp buffer stage would also effect things. The type of power supply, Linear or SMPS and its suitability has to be factored in as well.
    So there are quite a few things to consider before coming to any conclusions on the sound quality of the range per say.

There are literally dozens of articles praising these things, some from DIY builders, some from reviewers, some from Studio Engineers. Its hard to find anyone that has a bad word to say about them, so something isn't quite right. I read another 3 reviews today from studio guys that had built them and were now using them in preference to their Bryston 4BST amps.

I'm not doubting your opinion, just open to the possibility that there may have been a route cause for what you heard.

Wish I could get to hear one myself, to work out if I like what they do.

I'm Deleted.

I also heard the nCores on Simon's Yammies and it wasn't so much that they were hard and bright, it's more that they were very dry sounding without much sense of atmosphere and the top end just lacked tonal variation - good bass though.
    Account Deleted

I'm Ken.

Maybe they just don't suit the Yamaha's.

I'm Deleted.

Well it certainly put me off from building a pair.
    Account Deleted

I'm Mika.

All the UcDs, nCores, ICEpowers etc are just something I do not consider proper amps yet. I've tested them in several systems with open mind but haven't still heard music from them. My own systems, friends places, trade shows etc. The first version very horrible and the current ones are better but still I'm not convinced. Yes there is sheer power, and control, prime measurements and many things but..

The problem goes even deeper as the world is filled with excellent amps that just do not really suit NS-1000M's. And life is too short to have any of those in my system. This despite my main speakers are something else than these and NS-1000M's just visit at the spotlight every once in a while
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Simon.

Qwin, my crossovers are rebuilt, all Teflon and polypropylene with the original coils. My RAAL tweeters use a modest first order crossover to pair with the yammy kids.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm shahrin.

Ok you guys have lost me again...
    I take it the discussion has moved towards the merits or lack thereof of Class D power amps, and some of you voice concern that sonically they my not measure up.
    Or perhaps may not match the NS1000. ??

I am considering the miniDSP 4X10HD with three stereo power amps say three Exposure 3010S2 s , or if i can find a Nak AV 7 channel power amp here.
    Would that be a reasonable plan ?
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Ken.

The miniDSP 4x10HD will give you what you want in terms of an active crossover that is ready built and easy to adjust.
    As for the Amps, as you can see from the previous few posts, its a very personnel thing, so what I like you may not.
    They are both well respected products you mention, I think you mean Nak AVP1, which is what I have, the AP7 was a stereo amp.
    The only thing I can say for certain, is that powering the original Yamaha drivers via an active analogue circuit, the AVP1 is punchy yet can dig deep, has a high level of detail and a nice rich midrange and crisp top end. I can not fault its output tonally, so that pairing works for me.

My gripes are merely its size, weight, the need for a separate x-over case and the small hum at the speakers.

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Have my eye on one of these for my new Open Baffle project, this should have all the flexibility you want-

https://www.minidsp.com/products/min...inidsp-4x10-hd
    Thanks

The minidsp4x10hd has 2 or 1 pair of analogue inputs
    The minidsp10x10hd has 8 or 4 pairs as far as i can make out
    So to connect tts, tuner, cdp etc that would be preferable ?

Would 3 x Exposure 3012S2 amps be ok?
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast