+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha NS1000M - Tweaks

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Not familiar with that kit, however something similar can be had for a fraction of the cost from miniDSP.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm shahrin.

Minidsp huh
    Had a quick look
    Do they do the active x over?
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm Ken.

Default Update

Shahrin – I wouldn't say I had built my crossover from scratch, more like wiring pre built boards together and then doing some component upgrades, but I can fully understand if you don't feel comfortable working at this level. In which case the miniDSP is a very cost effective way of doing things, all be it in the digital domain. Their 4x10 HD unit is a digital signal processor (DSP) which is an active crossover. You connect it to a PC to set up the crossover points and levels and it runs stand alone once this is done. It even supports a pair of analogue inputs for a turntable etc. I considered this myself and the fact that Siegfried Linkwitz fully recommends it for his flagship active speaker is testimony to the quality of the sound it produces. They also produce less costly boards which are more DIY. From your point of view the beauty about the minidsp 4x10HD is it comes ready built in a nice case.

YNWaN – For me the weakest point in the stock passive crossover is the mid to tweeter crossover region, I find this on a lot of three way systems and feel it is the area where most improvements can be had from going active. That's not taking anything away from what you have done Mark, I heard your set up at Scalford and it sounded very nice, but for me the upper mids into the higher frequencies sounded exactly like mine in passive form (as you would expect). Maybe consider this for the future as I feel you can make things even better by going fully active.

As for the amount of power to drive them, it depends on the quality and control available as much as out and out Watts but I would agree that they like a bit of power on reserve.

The other thing to consider is that with a passive pair being driven by a 100w/channel stereo amp, the bass is probably grabbing about half of that (50w) and the remainder is being shared between the other two drivers, in very rough terms that is the maximum available. When going active with a 6 x 100W set up the bass gets all the 100w to itself so more like a 200W passive set up.

I am currently waiting on parts from Australia, my next build is having all of the opamps replaced with Burson discrete units (making 10 in total). The volume pots for driver matching are to be replaced by a simple voltage divider using fixed resistors, equal to the measured values from the pots and the boards with balanced input are to be used. I will be fitting JST or Molex multi pin connectors so the boards can easily be transferred into another project.

The build after that, which may be some way off, is to transfer the cross over boards into the case of a DIY 6 channel amp using Hypex UcD180HG HxR modules (120W/8ohm each). I will keep left and right speaker channels separated in the case, so two of the Hypex SMPS will be used, one for each set of amps/drivers. This will hopefully help avoid stereo crosstalk. Each power supply can handle up to 6 amp modules when used in an AV set up (multi drivers per amp module). So in my proposed set up, each supply is driving just three modules and those are each powering just a single driver. This should mean there is plenty in reserve for each bass module to draw on, should it be required.

I have worked out that the crossover boards can also be powered from the SMPS. The main output for the amp modules is 2x46Vdc but there is a 500mA auxiliary output on the supply that is half of this (2x23vDC). I have a couple of dual symmetrical and adjustable rectifier/regulator boards I got cheap from China, if I remove the rectifier stage and just use the regulator element, this will give me the 2x12Vdc required for the crossovers. These boards handle 1.5Amp max 1Amp continuous so the 100mA drawn by the crossover should not produce much heat and the small heat sinks fitted to the regs on the PCB should be enough.

All of this should fit into a stock 19” racking case which is 2U tall (roughly 88mm) and 300mm deep. I will fit a strip of 8mm thick Ally as a heat sink in the base of the enclosure and mount the hypex modules vertically. As you can tell I am well into the details of how all this might come together and when I get going will start a thread in “The Drawing Board”.
    As a bit of a taster here is a rough layout of what I have in mind:

http://www.jkwynn.co.uk/Pics/6Channel_Hypex_Case.pdf

The dimensions are for the max internal space available in my chosen case.
    The DC cables supplying the regulator boards will be tied up high on the back of the front panel and not interfere with the SMPS. The supply cables for each amp module are at the top of the vertical PCB's and the speaker outputs will run along the bottom of the case so there is a decent space between the cables. Other than that I think it is fairly self explanatory with the DC and signal cables being well separated and the AC supply kept well away from everything else.
    Last edited by Qwin; 02-02-2016 at 14:38. Reason: word missing

I'm shahrin.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    The other thing to consider is that with a passive pair being driven by a 100w/channel stereo amp, the bass is probably grabbing about half of that (50w) and the remainder is being shared between the other two drivers, in very rough terms that is the maximum available. When going active with a 6 x 100W set up the bass gets all the 100w to itself so more like a 200W passive set up.e AC supply kept well away from everything else.
    hmm the minidsp 4x10HD sounds very interesting.
    Ken i am sure one can use different power amps.
    From what i understnd from reading about Mark s set up he uses a very powerful Class D amp to drive the woofers and something else to do the highs and mids.
    In your system its 100W x 6
    Does/ can the miniDSP compensate for the different power ?
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade

I'm Ken.

MiniDSP has adjustment for levels in the software, but this is only for small amounts of adjustment. Any major differences in levels created through the use of different sized power amps or the requirements of different drivers (tweeters/mids need less) requires some form of attenuation. If the power amps do not have volume controls, which most don't, you need to add a control of some kind between it and the miniDSP on each channel that needs adjusting. As for using amps of different power ratings, that's up to you, but I prefer to use identical power amps, same size, same make. You have to consider sensitivity on the power amps as well, how much signal it needs to go loud, this varies between models. Also how linear the amps volume level is in relation to signal increase, if this slope is different between the amps chosen it is difficult if not impossible to balance the levels across the whole of the volume range as the amps increase at different rates. I'm not sure how much of a problem this is in reality, but it's something I took into account.

My Nakamichi is around 110w/channel and the Hypex DIY I am considering making would be 120w/channel, this seems enough to me, I get very deep and well controlled bass with the Naka, but I haven't tried anything bigger to compare.

I'm shahrin.

Excellent advice there Ken regarding the power amplification.
    I did note on another thread about the rare active Finnish NS 1000 That the amplifier feeding the tweeter produces only 3 or 5 W.
    But there is just a specific Genelac design While this is something generic that we are adapting to the NS 1000.
    I am convinced this is the way to go to take these wonderful spkrs up a notch .Gotta find some funds and the time !

whats the big deal about the Hypex - just 10 more wpc ?

I'm Ken.

The hypex UcD (class D) modules are reported to sound superb and have been used by manufacturers in even two channel form costing several thousand pounds. Their nCore are even better but costly for a multi channel set up.
    If I build an amp using these I can use the Hypex SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply) and also get rid of the linear supply for my active x-over. I can drop it all into one small case weighing just a few Kilos. The Nakamichi is in a huge box, has a massive Toroidal Transformer and weighs 32 Kilos. With the crossover in the amp case it will simplify my external interconnects significantly.

Its as much about space saving and giving my aching back a rest. I love the sound the Naka produces and the only thing I can fault on it is the slight hum that can be heard close to. That on its own would not be enough to make me change, its a combination of all the benefits, oh, and the Hypex amp/smps are supposed to be dead silent.
    Many studio guys have built Hypex based amps for their active monitors and their is much praise for them on Gearslutz.com etc, some saying they equal their Bryston power amps.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I use a mini DSP unit to run a pair of Open Baffle speakers, which use a pair of Eminence Alpha 15" woofers per side, with a Visaton B200 driver. Alphas run up to 200hz, B200 from there up.

For the bass I use a Behringer Inuke 3000w amp, this has twin volume pots, so levels can easily be matched to the Monarchy Audio SM 70 power amp I use to power the B200's.

I find the Behringer excellent for bass duties, and it is not expensive.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Ken.

3000w

Do the street lights dip when you switch that big boy on

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Nah, it's a chip amp.

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast