+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issue after replacing the zener 5V regulator

I'm Dimitris.

Default Issue after replacing the zener 5V regulator

A while back, I replaced the 5V zener reference with a 317 regulator. It was working very nice with excellent sonic results.

Today I tried a new reg I am working on based on TPS7A4501

The problem is that the turntable seems to be in an accelerate-break-accelerate-break loop. I see no problem with the voltages.

Any idea what might be going on? The voltage is 5.08V

I'm Neal.

First thought: is the reg o/p oscillating? Do you have a 'scope? is it all ok with the 317 back in cct?
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Is this more a topic for the DIY room, as I’m afraid you’re both talking gobbledygook to me!

For starters, which T/T is being referred to? Remember that not everyone here speaks ‘tech talk’!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dimitris.

Sorry for that. I posted in a hurry.

It is about a MK2.

It is not the reg after all. I messed up something and fed 31V to the TT. I have fixed the voltages now, but the TT is gone... I have no energy to troubleshoot it now and see what is fried... damn...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by dimkasta View Post
    It is about a MK2.
    A MK2 Techincs, I presume? Don’t let the sharing of too much information frighten you!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dimitris.

Well on techiepedia forum I guessed it would be obvious

Anyway, yes SL1200 MK2

I m seriously bummed My preciouuuuuuus

I'm Dimitris.

This is the exact behavior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8mMACv10gY

I guess it's the AN6680... I will verify it tomorrow with my scope

I'm Chris.

Hi
    Marco ,might be best to move this thread to DIY section

Following the test procedures in the service manual, the area of interest is X201, IC 201, IC 301 and IC 302
    I would check R211 a 10k resistor, and R215 a 4k7 resistor, and less likley the 50k trim VR201

You need to better identify where you are placing a LM317 but it looks like you are placing it where D2 was originally which needs
    quite a bit of consideration, for instance if Vin of the 317 is the emitter of Q3 you would need to also maintain the relationship
    of R2 R3 R4 and R5 , R2 and R3 are for instance a divider for the base of Q3

Given your present fault I would see if D2 a 5.1v zener, placing it back in observing cathode to the emitter clears and restores fault
    If it does, then set about more carefully using a LM317 if needed at all. For LM317 vout is Vref ( 1.25 ) x R2/R1 +1 which needs
    individual tailoring to that part of the circuit. There are better regulators than LM317, but it is a good part, but not necessarily in this
    part of the circuit, where the zener is doing its function very well. A far better idea would be the use of two capacitors of 1uf
    the first between the junction of R2 and R3 to gnd and then a second cap of 1uf between the junction of R4 and R5 to Gnd
    each with suitable voltage rating.

Cheers / Chris

I'm Dimitris.

For the record, it was the two pitch control ics
    Sources: Modified SL1200 MK2, Salas folded RIAA, Phonoclone, VSPS, Shelter 501 MK2, Modified Pioneer P6D6 as transport, Shigaclone transport, Peter Daniel NOS DAC.
    Amplification: Custom 211 Monoblocks, Electrocompaniet AW120, Audio Research VS110, Gainclone
    Loudspeakers: Tannoy Turnberry, PBN Montana EP Signature
    Cables/stands: Tempflex ribbon and Twinax cables
    Other: Promitheus Signature Passive Attenuator, Custom JFET - transformer preamp.

I'm Mel.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Dependant Resistor View Post
    Hi
    Marco ,might be best to move this thread to DIY section
    Cheers / Chris
    I prefer it here in the Technics section. I am trying to learn about this decks power supplies and other mods and its better to find them all in this one section rather than searching through general diy

Mel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast