+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do cables make a difference?

I'm Simon.

From cables to wobbly speakers? missed this.
    When made redundant, I had made enough contacts through Audiogon that I survived for a few years selling cables.
    The first Shunyata mains lead I bought was a road to Damascus, a lot of Kimber bought at a third of RA's prices were nice.
    I used to loan my Shunyata Hydra to people when I went on holiday, what does it do, feck knows but in every single instance,
    when removed from their systems, they had to have one.
    Moved onto ropey Electraglides, which when rebuild with a ground and Oyaide connectors were sublime but all sounded different.
    I loved them as you could totally retune your system with them, accurate, who gives a toss when it sounds sublime.
    Stopped when I took a silly priced later one apart and found the silver & palladium ribbons, were basic twisted copper wire
    The originals with ribbon conductors in basically copex were sublime and blew away Shunyatas costing silly money but
    I never felt robbed by what they cost & hopefully, neither did the dozens of people who bought them and still swear by them.

Speaker cables- my first buy of Audiogon was a pair of HMS Gran Finales? over a grand sent to the Lebanon(retail the was about 3K), what have I done?
    Wish I'd never sold them as I'd loved to have tried them with later amp/speaker combos.
    So impressed spent a fortune on the matching i/c's, which were shit.
    Cerious Technologies filled with some Liquid and some Harmonic Tech. pair like drain pipes (and silly money) were both amazing but different
    when running my big Pass Labs, could never decide which was better.
    Both were nonsense when I got my Audiopax, cheap Aural Thrills sound way better.
    Long time dream Audiopax never came to life till my current speaker cables, silver/palladium ribbons in fresh air dielectric, well plastic tubes,
    Cut Loose and at retail of 1600 quid, I'd have said screw loose but wouldn't part with them.
    I tried a 6K (only dollars:-) Harmonic tech from my us outlet to my Hydra, sounded crap compared to my £2.5K Shunyata Anaconda.
    Sounded sublime on my Nu Vista cd when it wasn't pulling it of the rack.

Sum up - the only folks that couldn't hear a difference (not improvement, all subjective after all) between the hundreds of cables passing through here,
    were to a man, Naim freaks! 15 years later I have to bite my tongue when they all extoll the virtues of Naims latest offerings, f-ck me, you daren't try
    different cables on them at one time of the b'stards would blow up. Cables are cables - to you they are cause your tone deaf!

Spikes on speakers- a pair of Keswick Audio Torinos that supposedly went to 20Hz in a lounge above a 22x22ft garage lead me to look at isolating them from the floor, wild cone flap, wild neighbours & wild spouse also helped. All sorts, Stillpoints, RDC............. Voodoo plats, your having a laugh, speakers wobbling about? Nope. Bought used for peanuts, these went under Audio Physic Virgos, and biggest surprise under £6.5K Art Decos. I've heard lots of Art's and the Voodoo plats made way bigger an improvement than the 4K upgrades to Signature. I've also heard silly price JBLs on Townshend fancy plats and dammned if I know how but spikes and speakers compared to floating them (at least on a suspended floor) is the kiss of death.

When I find the time, I intend to make some to get my 75Kg each 7ft horns flapping in the breeze, it's a no brainer.

Hate to say it but I gave up dealers about 20 years ago when I realised I could buy & try all this stuff for fractions of the price. Any recent dealings
    with some of them have made me even more sceptical. Why teach someone how to optomise their system/room, when you can screw them to buy ever dearer boxes?
    You've made oodles of dosh, spend as you will.
    I have a system which should have cost more than my house, which takes the piss out of systems I've heard that definitely cost multiples of my house.
    As my last encounter with a local dealer invited for dinner, a racks a rack, isolation? your more into farting about with gear than music?
    I was at a Canned Heat gig before the c--t was born, it's all about the music but pisses me off that so many box swappers are throwing money down the pan............

Don't get me started on room treatments

I'm Geoff.

Cor. I bet you're glad you got all that off your chest Simon.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Cor. I bet you're glad you got all that off your chest Simon.
    Indeed

I'm Simon.

It did amuse me after a few beers, but amuses me more that you can lead horses to water but still can't make them drink,
    thankfully I have all I ever wanted from my system and don't give a monkey's f--k about it all anymore

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Si74 View Post
    It did amuse me after a few beers, but amuses me more that you can lead horses to water but still can't make them drink,
    thankfully I have all I ever wanted from my system and don't give a monkey's f--k about it all anymore
    Me too!

(but I still like tinkering with stuff)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

And me as well - I still like to tinker with arms and cartridges.
    Barry

I'm Anthony.

Hey Simon ,take a chill pill, a glass of red, relax man, sit back and listen to some sweet music
    Our education is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how memorable an individual is. Bernard Sumner 1995

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123