+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldring Lenco GL75

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Steadman View Post
    Now come on Andre,

I got this when I modified the Dual. They are not great works of art and there are obviously plenty about so we are hardly likely to rid the world of the irreplaceable. Yes, they are good engineering but times change and if someone owns something and feels they get improvements from their changes, I just don't see the problem. If they do become rare, presumably the remaining owners will have something that could be considered an investment. But then they probably wouldn't use them for fear of reducing their value. Better to keep them going, doing what they were designed for, even if altered.

My Dual sounds better for the changes and I enjoy it more now.
    Don't care they aint 80's crap TT that no one will miss they are a Classic Turntable that don't need axing up

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Don't care they aint 80's crap TT that no one will miss they are a Classic Turntable that don't need axing up
    I will try and not butcher mine when I get it. Intention is to get it as good as I can in standard form
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm James.

I have now bought this GL75 for £50 after some tough negotiation Sorry the pics are poor, I will put some better ones on later and as I work through the project.

Initially I am just going to give it a good clean, replace some of the wiring and the captive RCA lead which is in very poor condition. Then work on the main bearing and regrease. I will try to get the best out of it in stock condition including the arm but may replace this.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Andr'e.

I have a Goldring/Lenco 'GL75' here but im looking for an early Lenco 'L75' with the satin silver control pannel {not the Brushed finish} just swap over the early arm without the 'V' blocks for a later arm with em...Wish i could locate one for fifty notes tho.

I'm James.

I have a Goldring/Lenco 'GL75' here but im looking for an early Lenco 'L75' with the satin silver control pannel {not the Brushed finish} just swap over the early arm without the 'V' blocks for a later arm with em...Wish i could locate one for fifty notes tho.
    Think mine is the later GL75 so may have the later arm?

I'm Shane.

I'd looks as though its in jolly good nick, so £50 was a steal! You'd pay three or four times that on eBay. Doesn't even seem to be suffering from a droopy counterweight, which is amazing! The original arm is capable of far better performance than mostb people give it credit for, but one thing you have to check is the condition of the horizontal bearings. These consist of a metal knife-edge resting in v-shaped rubber blocks which distort and deteriorate over the years, severely affecting the arm's performance. There are replacements available made from better materials than were available in 1970, and they aren't hugely expensive. Check out Lenco Heaven or EBay.

I'd go with your plan to clean, lube and rewire, but I think rewiring the arm as well would be a good idea. Once its up and running, junk the clunky old Shure and get something with a bit more finesse, then research plinths. Ideally slate IMHO, but anything good and solid that's shaped to support the underside of the top plate properly will transform a good solid performer into a world beater.
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Think mine is the later GL75 so may have the later arm?
    It's an early ish one as it still has the black control knobs, later ones had brush aluminium inserts. However yours will have 'V' Blocks.. There should be a date stamped on a label under the platter.

I'm Shane.

My post overlapped your answer to Andre. Yes yours is the v-block arm. Just checked eBay and found these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goldring-Lenco-L75-V-Block-Bearing-Up-grade-The-original-desmo-and-the-best-/151565799428?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_Turntables&hash=
    item234a069004
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by shane View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goldring-L...em234a069004My post overlapped your answer to Andre, yes yours is the v-block arm. Just had a look on eBay and found these:
    Thanks Shane, i was just looking at those on ebay at lunchtime.

I'm James.

It's an early ish one as it still has the black control knobs, later ones had brush aluminium inserts. However yours will have 'V' Blocks.. There should be a date stamped on a label under the platter.
    Were the early ones unsprung as I think this one is definitely sprung?

When I get it back to my house I will get some codes off it to help identify which year it was manufactured etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast