+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New phono stage

I'm Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei
    I have notion that it is good to have tubes 'somewhere in the system'
    I agree wholeheartedly!

...I'm in the middle of making a valve phonostage, (and have built them in the past) and let me tell you it's a fantastic place to insert noise into your system. Doing it right is very complicated and difficult. Most commercial tube phono I've heard are just plain noisy.

I suggest a fabulous SS phonostage and then a Valve linestage preamp. (Or power amp.)
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Renfin.

At this stage would prefer a SS pre. A couple of other ideas are,
    Parasound jc3
    Lehmann black cube se11 or decade

But would also prefer balanced out.

I'm Jim.

Balanced out from the Phonostage? That's going to blow your budget. And most balanced out are just balanced line drivers after the SE gain/RIAA/gain. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm Chris.

+4 Firebottle from forum member Firebottle (Alan) - had the lovely valve phono stage (mines the MM plus) for a few weeks and its astonishing. Some have said its a steal at £400 and probably out performs valve phonostages three times its price!

Chris

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I have a two box version which is very quiet and has both balanced and single ended outputs. Is MM/MC also. Not heard anything at the price to touch it.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Rich.

I've been lucky enough to hear the firebottle stage a couple of times. I didn't know it cost only 400quid, expected v high price to accompany the v high performance I heard.

At that price I'd consider one myself.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Renfin.

Balanced out from the Phonostage? That's going to blow your budget. And most balanced out are just balanced line drivers after the SE gain/RIAA/gain. (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

I believe the ayre P-5xe is balanced. Though will have to use a rca to xlr adapter or modify the rca as per recommendations by ayre.

I'm Renfin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    I have a two box version which is very quiet and has both balanced and single ended outputs. Is MM/MC also. Not heard anything at the price to touch it.
    Can you post a pic would like to see it. Cheers

I'm inthescottishmafia.

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Renfin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Thanks for that. Does look interesting and its balanced. Though at this stage I think I'll stick to a SS pre.....cheers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast